No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeNewsCosta RicaCosta Rica 'confident and committed' as UN Human Rights Council decision nears

Costa Rica ‘confident and committed’ as UN Human Rights Council decision nears

The United Nations will vote on Thursday to determine if Costa Rica will serve on the UN’s Human Rights Council.

Costa Rica is “confident and committed,” according to a statement from the Foreign Ministry, despite announcing its candidacy just weeks ago. The Central American nation is running in an attempt to block Venezuela from assuming a position on the 47-member council.

“Due to the serious violations against human rights that the report of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (Michelle Bachelet) evidenced, the Venezuelan regime is not a suitable candidate for the UN Human Rights Council,” President Alvarado tweeted when Costa Rica announced its candidacy on Oct. 3. “Costa Rica is proposed as an alternative.”

Brazil, Venezuela and now Costa Rica are vying for the region’s two open council seats. Venezuela had been virtually guaranteed a berth until Costa Rica intervened.

“When governments convene at the United Nations to condemn the human rights abuses of their peers, it stings,” Foreign Policy’s Kenneth Roth explains. “The power of that opprobrium can be seen in the number of highly abusive governments that clamor to join U.N. human rights bodies in an effort to avoid being targeted.”

The UN Human Rights Council created this month a group of experts to investigate atrocities committed in Venezuela since 2014. The South American government has called the initiative “hostile.”

The Foreign Ministry says its campaign has drawn attention to “the merits and reputation of the country as a nation respectful of human rights and that, without a doubt, has exalted the prestige and name of Costa Rica.”

The 193 members of the UN General Assembly will place their votes on Thursday morning.

Trending Now

Salvadoran Newspaper Says Bukele Froze Partners’ Assets After Documentary

The influential digital newspaper El Faro denounced on Thursday that the government of Nayib Bukele froze assets belonging to its partners in retaliation for...

Costa Rica swears in Laura Fernández Friday as second female president

Laura Fernández will be sworn in Friday, May 8, as Costa Rica's 49th president, succeeding Rodrigo Chaves at a ceremony that will mark several...

Dollar Exchange Rate Near ₡458 as Rainy Season Begins in Costa Rica

Costa Rica entered the first days of May with the dollar still hovering near historic lows, keeping pressure on tourists, foreign residents and retirees...

Costa Rica Weather Forecast Calls for Heavier Afternoon Storms This Week

Costa Rica will see warm mornings and stormy afternoons this week as Caribbean moisture moves across our country and helps fuel early rainy-season weather...

Nayib Bukele Opens 70 More Schools in El Salvador Education Push

El Salvador’s government inaugurated 70 renovated public schools on Sunday as the third batch under President Nayib Bukele’s Dos Escuelas por Día program. The...

Costa Rica Court Orders Urgent Action to Protect Tempisque River

Costa Rica’s Constitutional Court has ordered several state agencies and local governments to act together to address the degradation of the Tempisque River, after...
Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel