No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsBusinessDespite Zika fears, Guanacaste hotels are booked for Easter holiday

Despite Zika fears, Guanacaste hotels are booked for Easter holiday

The confirmation of the first cases of local transmission of Zika virus in Costa Rica did not have a negative effect on reservations at hotels in the province of Guanacaste ahead of Holy Week, which starts Sunday.

Guanacaste Tourism Chamber president Priscilla Solano Castillo said Wednesday that hotels at beaches and other tourist destinations reported an average occupancy of 98 percent for the holiday.

Just four weddings and two group trips had been reported cancelled to Guanacaste, one of the most visited areas of the country, out of fear of contracting Zika, she said.

Solano applauded a coordinated education and mosquito eradication plan between the Guanacaste tourism sector and government entities for helping keep reservation numbers up.

Another factor might also be boosting reservation rates: The Labor Ministry agreed earlier this month to give most of the 300,000 public sector employees the entire week off in order to promote domestic tourism during the holiday.

Recommended: Visit The Tico Times Travel section for ideas on where to spend Easter Holy Week in Costa Rica.

The Zika prevention plan for Guanacaste includes periodic fumigation throughout the province, collection of garbage — where mosquitos often breed — and distribution of printed information to tourists about Zika and how to prevent mosquito bites.

Health Ministry officials are also giving talks about preventive measures at hotels across the northern Pacific province.

Fumigation campaigns intensified starting last week as part of efforts to help tourists have a safe stay during Holy Week. The campaign will continue through April 26, Solano said.

In February, following confirmation of the first locally-transmitted cases of Zika and also a spike in cases of the mosquito-borne dengue and chikungunya viruses, the Health Ministry declared a state of emergency for 31 cantons located in all seven provinces.

The first two confirmed cases of Zika occurred in the Guanacaste canton of Nicoya. The state of emergency is currently in force for seven cantons of Guanacaste province: Liberia, Carrillo, Santa Cruz, Cañas, La Cruz, Abangares and Nicoya.

There are now eight confirmed cases of local transmission of Zika in Costa Rica, according to the latest report from the Health Ministry issued Wednesday. All of them occurred in Guanacaste.

In addition, health officials have reported Zika in four people who contracted the virus during trips abroad.

Trending Now

Costa Rica Court Targets Illegal Land Use at Playa Dominical

Costa Rica’s Constitutional Court has ordered the Municipality of Osa to do more to remove unapproved businesses and makeshift structures from public beachfront land...

Costa Rica Raises Bus Fares Between San José and Nicaragua Border

Taking the bus from San José to the Nicaraguan border became more expensive today.The fare from San José to Peñas Blancas increased from ₡5,820...

Panama Canal Cuts Ship Traffic as El Niño Drought Worsens

The Panama Canal will allow fewer ships to pass through the waterway beginning in September as a drought linked to El Niño reduces the...

Costa Rica Marks National Parks Day With Free Admission

Costa Rica will offer free entry to national parks on August 24 for citizens, residents and international visitors. Reservations are still required at many popular parks.

Costa Rica Flooding Forces 500 Into Shelters as Pacific Side Runs Dry

Two tropical waves in three days left the Caribbean and Northern Zone saturated while the Pacific sits in its driest stretch of the year. Here is what the next four weeks look like.

Costa Rica Closes Turrialba Volcano and Guayabo Monument Due to Heavy Rains

Two popular to visit in the Turrialba area have closed temporarily as continued rainfall and saturated ground raise the risk of landslides and other...

Costa Rica Declares a National Emergency in Nine Flood Hit Areas

Costa Rica has declared an emergency in nine areas after days of heavy rain caused flooding, damaged roads and left more than 700 people in shelters

What happened to Galeria Namu?

Founded in 1998, Galeria Namu had become a must-visit attraction for tourists visiting San Jose, as well as for many nationals, interested in seeing...

Williams Sisters Lose Cincinnati Open Doubles Thriller

Serena and Venus Williams came within two points of completing a dramatic comeback Monday night, but their long-awaited doubles reunion ended with a 2-6,...
L. Arias
L. Arias
Reporter | The Tico Times |
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel