Costa Rica Coffee Guide

Nicaragua expels international human rights missions

December 20, 2018

The government of Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega expelled two expert missions from the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights Wednesday, accusing them of meddling and bias in evaluating the crisis-hit country.

A letter to Organization of American States (OAS) Secretary General Luis Almagro said the suspension of the Special Follow-up Mechanism for Nicaragua (MESENI) and the Interdisciplinary Group of Independent Experts (GIEI) would remain “until conditions of respect for sovereignty and internal affairs are re-established.”

Read to mission members by foreign minister Denis Moncada, it accused the two entities of demonstrating “an interfering, interventionist attitude, echoing United States government policies against Nicaragua.”

The missions said they would leave the country on Thursday.

The order came a day before GIEI —created to collaborate with authorities to assess Nicaragua’s human rights situation— was due to present findings on human rights during the first weeks of anti-government protests, which erupted in April.

But the government accused it of acting outside agreed parameters by directly interviewing victims.

GIEI coordinator Amerigo Incalcaterra denied the allegations, but said the mission had been advised not to present its report.

MESENI representative Ana Maria Tello meanwhile told a press conference it would continue to monitor the situation in Nicaragua from Washington.

Ortega’s government also accused the Organization of American States of promoting an “irresponsible” and “slanderous” campaign against Cuba, Venezuela and Nicaragua.

In a statement, the General Secretariat of the OAS said the expulsion decision “further places Nicaragua into the terrain of authoritarianism.”

It comes as the Ortega government revoked local human rights groups’ permits, raiding their headquarters along with those of independent media.

In September, the government also expelled a UN human rights mission, branding a report it produced as biased.

Rights groups say at least 320 people have been killed in Nicaragua in a brutal government crackdown launched in response to the escalation in April of street protests, initially against a now-ditched pension reform.


Thanks for reading The Tico Times. We strive to keep you up to date about everything that’s been happening in Costa Rica. We work hard to keep our reporting independent and groundbreaking, but we need your help. The Tico Times is partly funded by you and every little bit helps. If all our readers chipped in a buck a month we’d be set for years.

Support the Tico Times

You may be interested

Costa Rica allows reopening process for public parks and recreational facilities
Costa Rica
13 views
Costa Rica
13 views

Costa Rica allows reopening process for public parks and recreational facilities

Alejandro Zúñiga - October 27, 2020

Costa Rica will allow for the gradual reopening of public parks and certain recreational facilities, the Health Ministry and National…

Costa Rica coronavirus updates for Tuesday, October 27
Costa Rica
5936 views
Costa Rica
5936 views

Costa Rica coronavirus updates for Tuesday, October 27

Alejandro Zúñiga - October 27, 2020

Costa Rica announced 17 new coronavirus-related deaths over the last day for a total of 1,329, according to official data…

Clarifying the isolation requirement for Costa Rican citizens
Costa Rica
8 views
Costa Rica
8 views

Clarifying the isolation requirement for Costa Rican citizens

Alejandro Zúñiga - October 27, 2020

Last week, the Costa Rica Tourism Board announced that, as of October 26, citizens would no longer need to quarantine…