No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeCanal WoesPanama Canal expansion to proceed no matter what, says official

Panama Canal expansion to proceed no matter what, says official

PANAMA CITY – Work to expand the Panama Canal will proceed despite a financial dispute that could derail the project, an official managing the major waterway said Saturday ahead of a key deadline.

The Grupo Unidos por el Canal (GUPC) consortium, led by Spanish builder Sacyr, has threatened to suspend the expansion work by Monday unless Panama pays for $1.6 billion in “unforeseen” costs.

“We are ready to deal with all eventualities, but I am sure that enlargement of the canal will go ahead with or without” the GUPC, canal administrator Jorge Quijano said.

“Our intention is to finish as quickly as possible, (even) if work is suspended; … we will complete the work no matter what,” he added at a ceremony marking the 100-year anniversary of the canal’s inauguration in 1914.

Attempts to resolve the dispute through dialogue and mediation efforts by Spanish and Panamanian authorities have failed so far, but “negotiations remain open,” Quijano said.

He added, however, that talks have begun with other companies in case the contract with GUPC falls through.

The consortium, tasked with building a third set of locks for the canal – the most expensive part of the expansion project costing $3.2 billion – has already “significantly” scaled back its activities, according to Quijano.

With a total price tag of $5.2 billion, the expansion work on the canal began in 2009 with the goal of being done by 2014 to coincide with the waterway’s 100th birthday.

It aims to make the 80-kilometer (50-mile) waterway, which handles five percent of global maritime trade, big enough to handle new cargo ships that can carry 12,000 containers.

But completion was pushed back to 2015 after a first disagreement between the canal authority and GUPC over cement quality.

In the current dispute, GUPC says it ran into unforeseen costs because the canal authority gave the builders the wrong information regarding the area’s geology.

But the canal authority has countered that the contractor’s claims “lack any foundation.”

The GUPC consortium includes Impreglio of Italy, Belgium’s Jan de Nul and Constructora Urbana of Panama.

Trending Now

Why Spending US Dollars in Costa Rica Can Be Surprisingly Difficult

When money is the subject, I am as old school as anybody. Cash is king in my world. The thrill, the feel of a...

Costa Rica Free-Zone Growth Slows to Weakest Pace Since 2020

Growth in Costa Rica’s free-zone economy slowed sharply in June, falling to its weakest pace since 2020 and extending a year-long deceleration in one...

Costa Rica Closes Turrialba Volcano and Guayabo Monument Due to Heavy Rains

Two popular to visit in the Turrialba area have closed temporarily as continued rainfall and saturated ground raise the risk of landslides and other...

Venus Williams Falls to Emiliana Arango in Cincinnati Open First Round

Venus Williams’ return to the Cincinnati Open ended in the first round Friday as Colombian qualifier Emiliana Arango defeated the seven-time Grand Slam champion...

What the Caribbean Green Alert Means for Your Weekend Plans

If you are going to the Caribbean coast or the Northern Zone over the next few days, plan for rain and give yourself more...

Costa Rica Named Among Top Destinations for Solo Travelers

Costa Rica has been included among 25 of the world’s best destinations for people traveling alone in a 2026 selection by Travel + Leisure,...

Costa Rica Moves Immigration Applications Online for Some Foreign Executives

Costa Rica has moved several immigration procedures for foreign executives and their families online, allowing eligible applicants to complete and track the process through...

China’s Xi Warns Against Outside Interference in Latin America

Chinese President Xi Jinping defended Latin America’s “independence and self-reliance” during talks with Ecuadorian President Daniel Noboa, arguing that countries in the region should...

Corcovado National Park Placed on Red Alert Over Sewage and Crumbling Infrastructure

A coalition of Costa Rican environmental organizations has placed Corcovado National Park under what it calls a red alert, warning that sewage discharges, decaying...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel