• Squaremouth travel insurance button 468x106
  • Costa Rica Coffee Guide
  • Tico Travel Surfing
  • Costa Rica Real Estate

U.S. Pentagon shifts $3.8 bn to Mexico border wall construction

February 13, 2020

The US Defense Department is shifting another $3.8 billion from procurement and other operations towards paying for a wall on the US-Mexican border, official documents sent to the US Congress showed Thursday.

The move took to $9.9 billion the total the Pentagon has been forced by President Donald Trump to reallocate to the barrier, after Congress repeatedly blocked funding.

The president declared a national emergency last year to be able to draw federal budget funds already allocated to other needs for the wall, which aims to deter migrants from entering the country illegally.

In January an appeals court backed Trump’s diversion of already-purposed federal budget funds to the project, removing a stay on spending set by a lower court after opponents filed suit.

The Pentagon told Congress it was transferring the $3.8 billion to “counter-drug activities” on the border in support of the Department of Homeland Security.

The money was to be culled from various programs for buying tactical vehicles for the Army National Guard, vessels for the Navy, and combat and transport aircraft for the Navy and Air Force.

Trump promised to build the wall along most of the 2,000-mile (3,200-kilometer) US-Mexico border — paid for by Mexico — during his 2016 presidential campaign.

After he was elected however he sought some $25 billion from Congress but was repeatedly turned back amid opposition to his harsh stance against undocumented migrants already living in the country.

Meanwhile the number of illegal border-crossers detained soared as hundreds of thousands of migrants poured into the US, mostly from Central America, seeking asylum.

A crackdown and changes in policy that made it far more difficult stay in the United States after submitting an asylum request has seen border apprehension numbers plunge in recent months.

The figure stood at fewer than 37,000 last month, from more than 58,000 a year earlier.

You may be interested

Costa Rica registers third death due to coronavirus
Costa Rica
1250 views
Costa Rica
1250 views

Costa Rica registers third death due to coronavirus

Alejandro Zúñiga - April 8, 2020

A 45-year-old man became the third person with COVID-19 to die in Costa Rica, the Health Ministry said Wednesday evening.…

Happy Passover from The Tico Times
Holidays
536 views
Holidays
536 views

Happy Passover from The Tico Times

Tico Times - April 8, 2020

Why is Wednesday night different from all other nights? It's the start of the Jewish holiday of Passover, when people…

Costa Rica surpasses 500 known coronavirus cases
Costa Rica
10398 views
Costa Rica
10398 views

Costa Rica surpasses 500 known coronavirus cases

Alejandro Zúñiga - April 8, 2020

Costa Rica has confirmed 502 total cases of the novel coronavirus, the Health Ministry announced Wednesday afternoon. The figure marks…

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!