No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsHealthPresident yanks IVF bill in latest battle move over the fertility procedure

President yanks IVF bill in latest battle move over the fertility procedure

Costa Rica’s executive branch backed down Tuesday from a bill to regulate in vitro fertilization (IVF), saying it would wait for separate rulings from the Supreme Court and the Inter-American Court of Human Rights (IACHR) before pushing further regulation.

The move follows months of uncertainty since President Luis Guillermo Solís signed a decree legalizing the long-banned fertility procedure in September. Since then, opponents have filed multiple challenges to the decree with Costa Rican courts, while defenders of IVF have responded with challenges to those challenges.

Passage of a legislative bill would solidify the fertility procedure’s legality and set out more specific regulations than those outlined in the presidential decree.

Some critics of Solís’ unilateral move to legalize IVF said he should have gone through the Legislative Assembly. Now, the president has temporarily abandoned that route.

Casa Presidencial said in a news release Tuesday that the proposed bill to regulate IVF would implement stricter regulations than those approved under the executive decree, and therefore “would be discriminatory and regressive in terms of human rights.”

Vice Presidency Minister Luis Paulino Mora said the government considers it prudent to wait for pending judicial rulings before making a final decision on the bill’s future. The executive branch sets the Assembly’s agenda of bills for discussion and voting from Dec. 1 to April 30, both in the full Assembly and in commissions.

President Luis Guillermo Solís signed the executive decree legalizing IVF procedures on Sept. 11. However, the decree has yet to take effect; It was suspended by an appeal filed before the Constitutional Chamber of the Supreme Court, or Sala IV, by a group of lawmakers who argued that IVF can only be regulated by law, not by decree.

IVF procedures were banned in 2000 by a Sala IV ruling. Solís’ decree was an effort to come into compliance with a 2012 ruling from the regional Inter-American Court of Human Rights, which ordered the country to reinstate the right to IVF.

Trending Now

Costa Rica Researchers Convert Waste Into Food

Costa Rican researchers are turning to fungi as a possible answer to one of our country’s most urgent environmental problems: what to do with...

Costa Rica Inauguration to Bring Traffic Delays Near La Sabana

Drivers in San José should expect heavy traffic, detours, and temporary road closures around La Sabana tomorrow, May 8, as Costa Rica holds its...

Costa Rica Loses 56,000 Jobs as Workforce Participation Hits Multi-Year Low

Costa Rica shed more than 56,000 jobs in the first quarter of 2026 compared with the same period last year, while an additional 118,000...

Costa Rica’s Laura Fernández Names Rodrigo Chaves Minister of Presidency

President-elect Laura Fernández named outgoing President Rodrigo Chaves as minister of the Presidency and minister of Finance on Tuesday, giving her predecessor one of...

Costa Rica Named in U.S. Legal Fight Involving Former San Antonio Spurs Owner

Costa Rica has been pulled into a high-profile legal dispute in Texas involving Peter M. Holt, the former controlling owner of the San Antonio...

Trump Says He Would Not Pay $1,000 for U.S. World Cup Opener

President Donald Trump said in an interview published Thursday that he would not pay the $1,000-plus ticket price for the United States' first World...
L. Arias
L. Arias
Reporter | The Tico Times |
Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel