No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeNewsletterUnion protest against proposed 2015 budget cuts to shut down 2 San...

Union protest against proposed 2015 budget cuts to shut down 2 San José streets Monday morning

At least 15 public workers’ unions have called a large protest for Monday to oppose proposed budget cuts to public agencies and programs in 2015.

The secretary general of the National Association of Public and Private Employees (ANEP), Albino Vargas, said demonstrators will meet at San José’s Central Park at 8 a.m. on Monday, and then march to the Legislative Assembly. This likely will close parts of downtown San José to traffic for at least half a day. The two streets mostly affected are Second Avenue and Central Avenue.

Union leaders say they have confirmed the attendance of employees from several ministries, including agriculture and livestock, public security, finance and justice, and several agencies such as the Immigration Administration, Border Police, National Police and dock workers.

“We strongly oppose the government’s attempts to address the fiscal deficit problem by submitting the working class to major sacrifices. We declare our support of the public sector’s fight for decent working conditions,” a statement distributed by union leaders to members said.

Vargas said he expects to meet with lawmakers on the legislative Financial Affairs Commission to outline opposition to the proposed budget cuts. Vargas said those cuts “would not solve the country’s fiscal deficit.”

The Assembly’s commission on Thursday approved a proposal to reduce by ₡97 billion ($181.9 million) the 2015 national budget, proposed by President Luis Guillermo Solís’ administration. The budget would total ₡7.9 trillion ($14.8 billion) if approved.

Lawmakers also voted to postpone to 2020 the payment of ₡100 billion ($187 million) in government bonds due next year. The Finance Ministry will renegotiate terms with bondholders.

The national budget discussion now will move to the full Assembly where lawmakers must approve it in two separate rounds of debate no later than Nov. 30.

Union leaders oppose proposed cuts to education, public security, prisons and agencies such as the National Emergency Commission, the Child Welfare Office, the National Statistics and Census Institute, and others.

Last year, lawmakers approved a ₡6.6 trillion ($13.1 billion) budget for 2014, representing a 3.1 percent increase over the previous year.

Trending Now

Costa Rica President Sends Eight Major Proposals to Congress

President Laura Fernández has presented eight new bills that could change how Costa Rica handles pensions, loans, government contracts, internet funding and several other...

Costa Rica’s Wild Capuchin Monkeys Are Using AI Touchscreens

Wild white-faced capuchin monkeys in Costa Rica are learning to use a touchscreen in the middle of the forest, giving researchers a new way...

Costa Rica Audit Finds 157 Unfinished Works and Safety Risks on Route 32

A new technical audit of the Route 32 expansion has identified 157 unfinished works, unstable slopes and road-safety problems along the highway connecting central...

Costa Rica Beach Overwhelmed by Trash Flowing Down Tárcoles River

A Pacific beach with the potential to attract tourists has instead become one of the clearest examples of Costa Rica’s struggle with waste, as...

Five Costa Rican Surfers Advance at Playa Hermosa WSL Event

Five Costa Rican surfers remain in contention at the Garabito Surf City Pro after advancing to the round of 32 at the World Surf...

Costa Rica Plans to Move Domestic Flights Out of Juan Santamaría

If you fly into Costa Rica and connect onward to Drake Bay, Tortuguero, Nosara or Puerto Jiménez, the government wants to move that second...

Costa Rica Marks National Parks Day With Free Admission

Costa Rica will offer free entry to national parks on August 24 for citizens, residents and international visitors. Reservations are still required at many popular parks.

Brandon Nakashima Saves Three Match Points to Stun Daniil Medvedev at Cincinnati Open

Brandon Nakashima saved three consecutive match points before completing a dramatic comeback against Daniil Medvedev on Tuesday at the Cincinnati Open. The 27th-seeded American...

Venus Williams Falls to Emiliana Arango in Cincinnati Open First Round

Venus Williams’ return to the Cincinnati Open ended in the first round Friday as Colombian qualifier Emiliana Arango defeated the seven-time Grand Slam champion...
L. Arias
L. Arias
Reporter | The Tico Times |
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel