No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeNewsCosta RicaGovernment predicts end to blockades following agreement with transportation sector

Government predicts end to blockades following agreement with transportation sector

President Carlos Alvarado said Tuesday night that his administration has reached an agreement with the transportation sector to end road blockades throughout Costa Rica.

The announcement came a day after Alvarado authorized a Public Security Ministry operative to act against groups blocking important national throughways.

President Alvarado’s statement read as follows:

We reached an agreement: the blockades in the different parts of the country are lifted and a dialogue forum will be established to deal exclusively with issues of the transport sector.

We are a country of peace, where dialogue has always been and remains the way in which we solve the problems we face. Costa Rica is capable and today, especially, we verify that.

“We apologize to the people of Costa Rica and the productive sector for the damage caused,” said Marvin Castillo, spokesperson for the Cargo Transporters Union.

Though a Tuesday morning operativo had cleared a majority of the blockades, a few were recreated later that afternoon and evening.

In San Carlos, the Security Ministry says a bridge that had been closed by protesters with a pile of gravel caused delays for an ambulance transporting an infant in critical condition.

And in San José on Tuesday night, a University of Costa Rica (UCR) student group organized a protest that backed up traffic on Route 39, known as Carretera de Circunvalación. 

Protests in San Pedro, near UCR.
(Jacob Spetzler / The Tico Times)

According to Carolina Funes, one of the organizers, the blockade was set up primarily in solidarity with the demonstrators whose own protests had been shut down by police. 

It’s unclear whether ¡Ya Basta!, the UCR student group, or other sectors will continue roadblocks Wednesday.

Footage from Repretel at 11:30 p.m. Tuesday showed continued disturbances in Limón 2000, though initial reports suggested these were not related to previous protests.

Costa Rican truck drivers had been objecting to a new value-added tax, which applies a 13% duty to services that had previously been excluded.

Jacob Spetzler contributed to this report. This story was updated at 11:35 p.m. Tuesday. 

Trending Now

Chile Launches Latam GPT to Build a Less Biased AI for Latin America

Move over ChatGPT -- Chile will launch Latam-GPT, an open-source artificial intelligence model designed to combat biases built by the primarily US-centric industry. Developped...

La Fortuna Tops Travel + Leisure’s List as Costa Rica’s Prime Wellness Spot

For those who haven't been here before, La Fortuna sits in the northern part of the country, near Arenal Volcano. The area draws visitors...

Costa Rica Faces ₡1 Billion Bill from Home Damages Due to Fires and Floods

Natural disasters and severe weather events led to more than ₡1 billion in payouts for damaged homes last year, data from the National Insurance...

Harvard’s Robert Waldinger Brings the World’s Longest Happiness Study to Costa Rica

One of the world’s leading experts on happiness and wellbeing is coming to Costa Rica, and time is running out to be part of...

Route 32 Reopens in Costa Rica with Traffic Controls at Key Slide Zone

Route 32 reopened Wednesday morning under regulated passage at kilometer 48, a spot hard hit by repeated slides from heavy rains. The Ministry of...

Venezuelan opposition leader returns to prison hours after his release

Juan Pablo Guanipa was free for less than 12 hours. The Venezuelan opposition leader returned to prison after a brief release, which he used...
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel

Latest News from Costa Rica