No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveFormer Guatemalan Paramilitaries Reject Community Development Plan

Former Guatemalan Paramilitaries Reject Community Development Plan

GUATEMALA CITY (EFE) – Thousandsof former members of Guatemala’snow-defunct Civilian Self-Defense Patrols,or PAC, this week threatened to strike andobstruct roads if the government fails topay them cash compensation for helpingbattle leftist guerrillas during the nation’slong civil war.Efraín Oliva, president of the PAC commission,announced that once the registrationprocess of former paramilitary fights closesnext Sunday, the government will begin to“purge” the lists of eligible recipients.Of 570,000 paramilitaries who signedup for payments, the government hopes towhittle the list down to 450,000.One of the new government restrictions,Oliva said, is that recipients of compensationmust be over 37 years old.Fellow PAC leader Felipe Yaxon saidthe militias who helped the governmentcombat guerrillas during the country’s1960-1996 civil war are not going to allowany purging of the lists because the organizationdid so itself “before they signed up.”Yaxon said his group is considering anationwide protest to block traffic andoccupy public buildings if its demands arenot met.The former militias are also rejectingthe government’s alternative compensationefforts, such as projects to plant trees intheir communities. The alternative compensationis a new idea by President OscarBerger, and it doesn’t appear to have muchsupport outside of government.“We want to be paid (in cash), just asthe President promised in his campaign,”Yaxon insisted.Financial compensation was firstpromised by former President AlfonsoPortillo (2000-2004) in June 2003. Portillooffered $640 to more than 520,000 formerPAC members, but only $215 was disbursed,leaving additional payments of $215and $210, which Berger promised to honorupon winning office.Berger, however, has not been able tofulfill his promise because the nation’s ConstitutionalCourt ruled the payments “illegal.”Now, instead of direct payments,Berger has offered the former combatantscommunity improvement projects, such asinfrastructure and forest expansion, in therural areas where they live. The formerfighters prefer cash over shrubbery.The government says it has set aside atrust fund of 890 million quetzals ($117.56million) to compensate the former paramilitarieswho accept the community projects.

Trending Now

How to Watch the Super Bowl in Costa Rica

Costa Rica has always been a soccer-first country, where passions run deepest for fútbol and La Sele. Yet over the past decade-plus, the Super...

Costa Rica Faces ₡1 Billion Bill from Home Damages Due to Fires and Floods

Natural disasters and severe weather events led to more than ₡1 billion in payouts for damaged homes last year, data from the National Insurance...

Nicaragua frees former military officer amid U.S. criticism over political prisoners

A military officer sentenced to 50 years in prison for “treason” in Nicaragua has been released at a time when the United States is...

Shakira Ignites Fan Frenzy in El Salvador with Sold-Out Concert Series

Colombian singer Shakira has fans in El Salvador buzzing with anticipation as she prepares for a series of concerts in San Salvador. The superstar's...

Costa Rica Starts Pilot Program for Preschool Education

The Ministry of Public Education (MEP) has rolled out a pilot program that allows some three-year-old children to begin preschool this year. The move...

Costa Rica’s Dry Forest Pit Viper and Why It Shows Up in Yards

I’m leaning into being a grumpy old man here, but when I was a kid and I got in trouble my punishment was that...
Avatar
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel

Latest News from Costa Rica