In testimony Thursday before a Legislative Assembly commission, Costa Rica's former Culture Minister Elizabeth Fonseca downplayed the colossal failure of this year's International Arts Festival, or FIA, saying, "this whole situation has been exaggerated; the gravity of what happened was blown out of proportion.”
President Luis Guillermo Solís said Thursday at a public event that dismissals at the Culture Ministry “are among the possibilities” depending on the report Minister Elizabeth Fonseca Corrales presents next Monday.
Culture Minister Elizabeth Fonseca told La Nación that 3,400 tickets to the rescheduled show would be distributed free among the residents of Aserrí, Desamparados and Acosta — the three communities where the 2015 International Arts Festival's main events were supposed to take place. Another 1,800 will be put up for sale, the daily reported.
This year's International Arts Festival has been plenty entertaining so far — just not in the way the Costa Rican government intended. Instead of people mapping out a schedule to squeeze in as much music and culture as possible, they're gossiping indignantly about how the festival's organizers could have possibly messed it up quite this badly.