No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsArts and CultureLa Ley will reschedule concert after FIAsco

La Ley will reschedule concert after FIAsco

The Chilean rock band La Ley said Wednesday that it will reschedule its concert originally set for this week in Costa Rica for June 20. The concert was cancelled — along with other major international acts — amid the chaos that tanked this year’s International Arts Festival.

Band leader and vocalist Beto Cuevas told reporters that La Ley had a “debt” with the Costa Rican public, which in the past has received the band warmly.

“We wanted to play now but I know that in June the concert will have a special energy,” Cuevas said at a news conference. He was accompanied by producer Gustavo Pacheco, who hired the band for the festival.

The traditionally grand 2015 International Arts Festival (FIA), which started April 23, unraveled over the past two weeks as technicians and artists backed out citing poor festival organization, non-existent communication and last-minute contracts.

Recommended: How Costa Rica’s 2015 International Arts Festival flopped

La Ley was supposed to play Thursday in Desamparados, south of San José, but the show was cancelled because organizers failed to find a way to provide lights and speakers after the company originally chosen to do so pulled out.

Organizers were also forced to cancel Argentine musicians León Gieco and Miguel Mateos. Those musicians never got on a plane, but members of La Ley arrived in Costa Rica earlier this week.

Pacheco, the producer, said the rescheduled show would take place at the Antigua Aduana.

Culture Minister Elizabeth Fonseca told daily La Nación on Wednesday that the Costa Rican government would have to assume minor costs — including airline tickets and venue rental — beyond the ₡100 million ($188,000) it had already agreed to pay the group.

But she said La Ley had agreed not to seek indemnification for the schedule change.

Fonseca said 3,400 tickets to the show would be distributed free among the residents of Aserrí, Desamparados and Acosta — the three communities where FIA’s main events were supposed to take place. Another 1,800 will be put up for sale, La Nación reported.

The Culture Minister said Miguel Mateos would be rescheduled for June 18 and León Gieco for June 19 and 20, both in the Antigua Aduana.

The festival fiasco has led many artists, angry citizens and lawmakers to call for Fonseca’s resignation.

Trending Now

Costa Rica’s Wild Capuchin Monkeys Are Using AI Touchscreens

Wild white-faced capuchin monkeys in Costa Rica are learning to use a touchscreen in the middle of the forest, giving researchers a new way...

Lionel Messi Says He May Not Play Much Longer After Father’s Death

Argentine soccer star Lionel Messi said Wednesday that he has “a lot of doubts” about whether he will continue playing football “for much longer,”...

Gota a Gota Loans in Costa Rica — Warning Signs

If someone offers you cash the same day with no paperwork, no credit check and no questions about your income, understand what you are...

Is Panama the New Costa Rica? A 2026 Expat & Real Estate Investor Comparison

For decades, Costa Rica was the undisputed poster child of Central American expat life. However, a quiet reshuffling of priorities is underway, and a...

Costa Rica Beach Overwhelmed by Trash Flowing Down Tárcoles River

A Pacific beach with the potential to attract tourists has instead become one of the clearest examples of Costa Rica’s struggle with waste, as...

Costa Rica Free-Zone Growth Slows to Weakest Pace Since 2020

Growth in Costa Rica’s free-zone economy slowed sharply in June, falling to its weakest pace since 2020 and extending a year-long deceleration in one...

Missing Hiker Found Alive After Four Days in Costa Rica’s Chirripó National Park

A 58-year-old Costa Rican hiker who had been missing for four days inside Chirripó National Park was found alive this morning, ending an extensive...

Costa Rica Seals Security Contracts as “Operation Pegasus” Remark Goes Unexplained

A decree in force since August 10 seals Costa Rican security records including procurement files, as a governing-party lawmaker's unexplained "Operation Pegasus" remark sharpens the dispute.

Search Intensifies for Missing Hiker in Costa Rica’s Chirripó National Park

Rescue teams continued searching today for a 58-year-old man who has been missing for several days inside Chirripó National Park, one of Costa Rica’s...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel