No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeJohnny ArayaNational Liberation Party bans former presidential candidate and ex-mayor Johnny Araya from...

National Liberation Party bans former presidential candidate and ex-mayor Johnny Araya from running for office for 4 years

A National Liberation Party (PLN) ethics committee on Tuesday night ordered former Costa Rican presidential candidate Johnny Araya Monge to refrain from participating in any political activities for a period of four years, as a result of his decision to drop out of the presidential race on March 5.

Araya left the race just one month after losing a first-round vote in February against Citizen Action Party candidate – and now president – Luis Guillermo Solís, who received a whopping 78 percent of votes of in an April runoff. Araya’s much-criticized decision to throw in the towel came just hours after a poll conducted by the University of Costa Rica showed Solís held a 44 percent lead in the runoff race.

The PLN’s ethics committee ruled that Araya’s early withdrawal merits disqualification from running as a Liberation candidate for any public office in regional and national elections. Araya in recent months has suggested that he is interested in running again for mayor of Costa Rica’s capital, San José, a post he held for 22 years. He stepped down as mayor to launch his ill-fated presidential campaign.

Ethics committee president Álvaro Castro Garnier at 9:40 p.m. confirmed the decision, and soon after, the party’s under-secretary, Kyra de la Rosa Alvarado, who filed the ethics complaint against Araya, confirmed the four-year sanction.

Johnny Araya “not only brought shame to the National Liberation Party, he also caused the biggest defeat in our party’s history,” De la Rosa argued in her complaint filed on Oct. 9.

On Tuesday night, she added, “I believe the moral damage [caused by Araya] is unmatched and unprecedented, and I actually was hoping for a stricter sanction. However, I am respectful of the committee’s decision.”

Araya on Wednesday morning said he was surprised by the move, telling Telenoticias that “there are people in our party who want to lynch me. There are people who want to completely remove me from National Liberation.”

The former mayor said he would challenge the committee’s decision in the PLN’s appeals committee.

After his withdrawal from the presidential race, Araya has served only as an adviser to the PLN’s 18 lawmakers. The new sanction could forbid his participation in that role.

PLN President Bernal Jiménez said he “respects the ethics committee’s decision,” adding that the committee “has full independence to issue such a ruling.”

Trending Now

Missing Hiker Found Alive After Four Days in Costa Rica’s Chirripó National Park

A 58-year-old Costa Rican hiker who had been missing for four days inside Chirripó National Park was found alive this morning, ending an extensive...

Fonseca and Cerúndolo Drawn Into the Same Cincinnati Quarter

The Cincinnati Open draw placed Fonseca and Cerúndolo in the same quarter, with Sinner and Alcaraz both absent through injury.

Costa Rica Opens Consular Line in Colombia as Earthquake Toll Climbs Past 70

Costa Rica's embassy has opened consular lines in Colombia after Monday's magnitude 7.4 earthquake. Seven airports are shut, Bogotá is still operating, and Avianca and LATAM are waiving change fees.

Family Demands Answers on Missing Political Prisoners in Nicaragua

Relatives of a retired military officer and his wife, who were detained a year ago in Nicaragua, demanded Saturday that the government of Daniel...

Costa Rica Gives Final Approval to “Macho Coca” Extradition

Costa Rica has authorized the immediate extradition of Gilberth Bell Fernández, the Limón businessman known as “Macho Coca,” clearing the final judicial hurdle for...

U.S. and Costa Rica Discuss Deeper Security Cooperation

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio spoke with Costa Rican President Laura Fernández today as the two countries look to deepen security cooperation amid...

Five Costa Rican Surfers Advance at Playa Hermosa WSL Event

Five Costa Rican surfers remain in contention at the Garabito Surf City Pro after advancing to the round of 32 at the World Surf...

World Surf League Returns to Costa Rica at Playa Hermosa

Professional surfing returns to Costa Rica’s international stage today as the Garabito Surf City PRO 2026 gets underway at Playa Hermosa, bringing an official...

Costa Rica Runs Its National Evacuation Drill Wednesday

Costa Rica holds its eighth national evacuation drill Wednesday at 10 a.m. Here's what happens, how to take part, and what to prepare first.
L. Arias
L. Arias
Reporter | The Tico Times |
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel