Nicaragua set for new talks on ending political crisis
President Daniel Ortega and Nicaragua’s opposition agreed Thursday to resume negotiations to resolve a long-running political crisis sparked by protests against his rule, with at least 320 people killed in a brutal government crackdown.
Ortega said that the government is working to “set the table for negotiations next Wednesday” with representatives from the opposition, which is demanding his resignation.
The opposition accepted his invitation to negotiate.
Ortega made the appeal during an event commemorating the 85th anniversary of the death of guerrilla leader Augusto Sandino, to an audience of cabinet members, military personnel, the police and supporters.
It comes as the government faces economic crisis and a $315 million deficit, as it struggles without funding and loans that would usually come in from multilateral organizations.
Nicaragua’s GDP shrank four percent last year and some economists say it could contract 11 percent in 2019.
Protests initially started last April over a now-ditched pension reform, and escalated quickly as they were met by a harsh government crackdown.
The Nicaraguan opposition accuses former guerrilla leader Ortega, in power since 2007, of establishing a corrupt dictatorship with his wife and vice president Rosario Murillo.
Negotiations broke down in June as Ortega refused the opposition’s main demands to step down and bring forward presidential elections.
Protests lasted until October and as well as the many dead, more than 750 people were arrested and accused of terrorism. Thousands of people fled to neighboring Central American countries.
Ortega’s handling of the protests drew international condemnation and sanctions from the United States.
An opposition coalition called the Civic Alliance said it has named a six member team for the new talks.
Neither side specified the agenda of the discussions. The Catholic church and civil society groups are demanding the government free jailed protesters and allow the unconditional return of people who fled the country because of all the violence.
This story was made possible thanks to The Tico Times 5 % Club. If only 5 percent our readers donated at least $2 a month, we’d have our operating costs covered and could focus on bringing you more original reporting from around Costa Rica. We work hard to keep our reporting independent and groundbreaking, but we can only do it with your help. Join The Tico Times 5% Club and help make stories like this one possible.
You may be interested
Costa Rica coronavirus updates for Wednesday, September 23Alejandro Zúñiga - September 23, 2020
Costa Rica announced 21 new coronavirus-related deaths over the last day for a total of 781, according to official data…
Costa Rica’s Playa Hermosa named as World Surfing ReserveAlejandro Zúñiga - September 23, 2020
Save The Waves Coalition has named Playa Hermosa in Garabito, Puntarenas as a World Surfing Reserve (WSR), the non-profit announced…
Costa Rican Presidency makes its case for IMF loanAlejandro Zúñiga - September 23, 2020
The Costa Rican Presidency hopes to generate internal support before its planned negotiations for $1.75 billion from the International Monetary Fund…