No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsBusinessCosta Rica also tells Donald Trump: 'You're fired'

Costa Rica also tells Donald Trump: ‘You’re fired’

Like dominoes, major corporations, small companies, Miss Universe contestants, performers, co-hosts and others who have dealings with “The Donald” are telling him to buzz off following his recent racist rant while announcing his candidacy for president of the United States. Costa Rica has now joined that list.

On Wednesday night, television network Televisora de Costa Rica announced on its nightly news program that it would not broadcast the Miss Universe pageant unless Donald Trump retracted his statements and apologized, or resigned from the pageant. Telenoticias Channel 7 Director Ignacio Santos made the announcement on-air, adding that Costa Rica also would not send the winner of its upcoming Señorita Costa Rica pageant to participate in Miss Universe.

Teletica’s announcement followed one earlier in the day by Macy’s, which said it would end the Trump clothing line following the billionaire’s controversial remarks about Mexican immigrants. NBCUniversal announced on Monday that it also would no longer work with Donald Trump, including on his reality show “The Apprentice,” following Univision, which did so last Thursday.

The Donald really takes great photos.
Jeff Haynes/AFP

‘They’re rapists’

Last week, Trump said in a rambling, 45-minute speech that, “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best.” He added: “They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists.”

On Tuesday, Bogotá canceled its candidacy to host the Miss Universe show and Mexico withdrew from the contest, which is popular in Latin America.

Miss Mexico, Wendolly Esparza — a brunette who studied journalism in the United States — said that when she felt that going to Miss Universe would “affect my values and the values of Mexicans, the best decision was not to participate.”

“The biggest crown for Mexico is its dignity,” she told Radio Formula.

In the brief statement, Telenoticias’ Santos said the following:

Televisora de Costa Rica has maintained a relationship of more than 40 years with … the Miss Universe pageant. For all of those decades the pageant has strived to unite the most diverse countries and cultures, it has carried out important humanitarian campaigns across the world, and it hasn’t marginalized a single contestant based on the color of her skin, her religion or her ideas. Because of this, we reject the xenophobic and offensive statements by the owner of the Miss Universe pageant against our Mexican brothers and sisters, and therefore, against all Latin Americans. The opinions of this man, Donald Trump, are completely contrary to the most basic principles of Costa Rican nationality – principles that also guide the daily work of every one of us at Channel 7. For that reason, Televisora de Costa Rica has decided not to broadcast the Miss Universe pageant. We will only reconsider our decision if Donald Trump retracts his comments immediately and apologizes for his inadmissible statements, or if he separates himself completely from the organization of the pageant. Televisora de Costa Rica also has decided not to send the winner of Señorita Costa Rica to the Miss Universe pageant.

Watch a video in Spanish of Telenoticia’s announcement:

AFP contributed to this report. 

Trending Now

Earthquake Near Manuel Antonio Felt Across Costa Rica’s Pacific Coast

A magnitude 4.4 earthquake struck off Costa Rica's central Pacific coast on Tuesday afternoon, with an epicenter just offshore from one of the country's...

Starbucks Debuts Summer Menu in Costa Rica with Four New Drinks

Starbucks has rolled out its 2026 summer menu at participating stores across Costa Rica, with four featured beverages now available as part of a...

Costa Rica Awaits Laura Fernández Cabinet Announcement at Teatro Melico Salazar

Political attention in Costa Rica turns today to the Teatro Popular Melico Salazar, where President-elect Laura Fernández is scheduled to present the cabinet that...

Costa Rica Central Bank Warns Dollar Decline Could Reverse

The president of the Central Bank of Costa Rica, Róger Madrigal, warned that the recent weakness of the U.S. dollar against the colón could...

Salvadoran Newspaper Says Bukele Froze Partners’ Assets After Documentary

The influential digital newspaper El Faro denounced on Thursday that the government of Nayib Bukele froze assets belonging to its partners in retaliation for...

Keylor Navas Helps Pumas Hold América in Wild Liga MX Playoff Opener

Keylor Navas and Pumas left the former Estadio Azteca with the Liga MX quarterfinal series still alive after a wild 3-3 draw against América...
Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel