No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeLegislative AssemblyLegislative Assembly reverses order restricting access to information

Legislative Assembly reverses order restricting access to information

The Legislative Assembly’s directorate this week reversed a controverial gag order prohibiting officials from giving information or statements to the press without approval by the Assembly’s executive director.

In a public statement released Wednesday directorate members said that “the decision comes as a result of a deep analysis in recent weeks in which we have taken into consideration relations with the media and also the citizens’ rights to access public information objectively.”

Assembly President Henry Mora Jiménez, from the ruling Citizen Action Party, and secretaries Jorge Rodríguez Araya and Luis Vásquez Castro, from the Social Christian Unity Party (PUSC), signed the order restricting access to information on Dec. 10, 2014. However it wasn’t disclosed to Assembly members until an internal memo went out in early February.

The gag order received severe criticism from citizens, members of the media and other lawmakers.

Among the critics was Rolando González Ulloa, legislative leader of the National Liberation Party, who last month filed a complaint with the Constitutional Chamber of the Supreme Court. González asked the court to reverse the order, arguing that it constituted “a threat to freedom of expression, access to information and the press in our country.”

At the time, PUSC’s Vázquez denied that the order limited access to information.

“We are enforcing a 2009 agreement that is currently being used in all public offices,” he said at the time. “We are simply naming an official spokesperson. The move is necessary because some people here have shared information and documents regarding decisions that haven’t yet been approved,” he said.

Trending Now

Rodrigo Chaves Stays at Center of Power as Costa Rica Enters Fernández Era

Costa Rica’s transfer of power on Friday is bringing a new president but not a clean break from the leader who dominated the last...

Costa Rica Press Freedom Under Scrutiny After US Visa Revocations

Just days before Costa Rica inaugurates its new president, a deeply troubling development has cast a shadow over the country’s long-standing reputation as a...

Honduras Faces Soaring U.S. Airfares After Spirit Airlines Exit

The sudden collapse of Spirit Airlines on May 2 has carved a deep gap in Honduras's aviation map, eliminating more than 24 weekly flights...

Yara Jiménez Becomes Fifth Woman to Lead Costa Rica’s Congress

Yara Jiménez Fallas was elected president of Costa Rica's Legislative Assembly on Friday, becoming the fifth woman to lead the country's Congress and opening...

Panama–US tensions escalate over Chinese investment, visa threats

Panamanian President José Raúl Mulino accused the U.S. Embassy of threatening to revoke visas of officials and business figures with ties to Chinese companies....

Costa Rica Awaits Laura Fernández Cabinet Announcement at Teatro Melico Salazar

Political attention in Costa Rica turns today to the Teatro Popular Melico Salazar, where President-elect Laura Fernández is scheduled to present the cabinet that...
L. Arias
L. Arias
Reporter | The Tico Times |
Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel