No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeCosta RicaChaves’ Complaint Sparks Debate on Press Freedom in Costa Rica Media Clash

Chaves’ Complaint Sparks Debate on Press Freedom in Costa Rica Media Clash

Costa Rica President Rodrigo Chaves filed a criminal complaint against two Teletica journalists, Álvaro Sánchez Córdoba and Christian Montero Ulate, for publishing his personal phone number on their personal Facebook accounts. The Presidential Office labeled the act “condemnable and illegal,” sparking a heated controversy that led to the journalists’ dismissal from Teletica Canal 7.

The complaint stems from posts made by Sánchez and Montero, where they shared a document containing Chaves’ phone number, allegedly extracted from a judicial file. According to Casa Presidencial, this violates Article 196 of Costa Rica’s Penal Code, which prohibits the unauthorized disclosure of private communications, carrying a penalty of one to three years in prison. The Agency for the Protection of Inhabitants’ Data (PROHAB) classifies a personal phone number as restricted data, requiring protection.

In a statement, the Presidential Office accused Sánchez of illegally accessing the judicial file and claimed Teletica supported his “personal attacks” on Chaves via social media. They further alleged that Sánchez has a history of accessing sensitive judicial information unlawfully, describing his actions as part of a “systematic campaign of aggression” rather than journalism.

Teletica swiftly distanced itself from the journalists’ actions, emphasizing that the posts were made on personal accounts and were not endorsed by the channel. “Televisora de Costa Rica has no knowledge of or involvement in the publications made by its collaborators on their personal pages,” the company stated. The following day, Teletica announced the termination of both Sánchez and Montero, closing a chapter marked by tension between the media and the Chaves administration.

Sánchez, who worked at Teletica for nearly 18 years, posted a farewell message on Facebook, reflecting on his career and personal milestones, including his marriage and children. He acknowledged the publication as a personal error, stating, “It was a mistake, and I will assume the responsibilities that follow.” Montero, with over a decade at Telenoticias, was also dismissed but has not publicly commented.

The Presidential Office sent a letter to René Picado Cozza, president of Grupo Teletica, condemning the journalists’ actions as a breach of privacy and a threat to Chaves’ security. Teletica’s director of news, Ignacio Santos, and Picado requested a meeting with Chaves to address the issue, but no confirmation of such a meeting has been reported.

This incident adds to ongoing friction between Chaves and Costa Rican media. In 2023, the Constitutional Chamber ruled that Chaves violated press freedom through verbal attacks on outlets like Teletica and La Nación. Critics note the irony of Chaves’ complaint, as he previously disclosed private information about a journalist and World Bank officials in 2022 and shared lawmakers’ email addresses in 2025, urging public complaints.

Legal experts suggest the case could set a precedent for balancing press freedom and privacy rights in Costa Rica. The dismissals have sparked debate, arguing Teletica bears responsibility since the journalists accessed the number in their professional capacity. Others defend the journalists, citing Chaves’ own history of disclosing personal data.

Trending Now

Nicaragua Bishop Abelardo Mata Says He Is Well After Detention

Catholic Bishop Abelardo Mata, a critic of Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega, said he is in good condition in an interview broadcast Wednesday by the...

Costa Rica Estate Becomes Refuge for Rare Agami Heron

Around 1,000 agami herons have made a private estate in Guatuso their home, creating an unusual concentration of one of the most elusive heron...

Paulo Wanchope expected back at Herediano for a third spell in charge

The former Manchester City and West Ham striker is reported to be closing an agreement to take over at Herediano, a job he has held twice before. The club has not announced it.

Nurses Strike at Hospital México After Staffing Talks Collapse

More than 180 nurses walked out at one of Costa Rica's three national referral hospitals after talks with the CCSS ended without agreement.

One of Costa Rica’s Must-Do Trips: The Water Taxi from Sierpe to Drake Bay

There are some trips in Costa Rica where the journey is every bit as memorable as the destination. The water taxi from Sierpe to...

Costa Rica Moves Immigration Applications Online for Some Foreign Executives

Costa Rica has moved several immigration procedures for foreign executives and their families online, allowing eligible applicants to complete and track the process through...

U.S. and Costa Rica Discuss Deeper Security Cooperation

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio spoke with Costa Rican President Laura Fernández today as the two countries look to deepen security cooperation amid...

Possible Archaeological Find in Costa Rica Delays Water Project

A long-awaited project to bring piped drinking water to Isla Caballo has hit another delay after crews uncovered ceramic pieces, shells and fossil material...

Missing Hiker Found Alive After Four Days in Costa Rica’s Chirripó National Park

A 58-year-old Costa Rican hiker who had been missing for four days inside Chirripó National Park was found alive this morning, ending an extensive...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel