No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeEl SalvadorEl Salvador orders arrest of former president over killing of six Jesuits...

El Salvador orders arrest of former president over killing of six Jesuits in civil war

A judge in El Salvador ordered the arrest Friday of former president Alfredo Cristiani for alleged links to the murder of six Jesuit priests and two co-workers by the army during the country’s the civil war, prosecutors said.

On November 16 1989, Salvadoran troops from the now banned Atlacatl battalion shot dead the Jesuits, five of them Spanish, at the Central American University in San Salvador. They also killed a woman who worked as their housekeeper and her 16-year-old daughter.

On February 25, prosecutors filed charges against Cristiani, who was president in 1989-1994, and a group of soldiers for alleged involvement in the murder. 

Prosecutors said on Twitter Friday that a judge has ordered Cristiani, who is outside the country, former lawmaker Rodolfo Parker and four colonels to be put “under provisional detention.” 

The former president, whose whereabouts are unknown, denied the charges and attacked Attorney General Rodolfo Delgado in a statement. 

“The attorney general, in bad faith and with a clear disregard for the truth, has publicly accused me of omission and cover-up,” said Cristiani, who, in his capacity as president, was also commander-in-chief at the time of the killing. “The truth is that I never knew of the plans they had to commit those murders.” 

He said that the military “never informed me or asked me for authorization because they knew that I would never have authorized Father Ellacuria or his brothers to be harmed.” 

Cristiani also asserted that “at this time there are no procedural guarantees in El Salvador” because most prosecutors and judges are controlled by the president. 

Of the four colonels who were ordered arrested on Friday, one is already serving a 30-year prison sentence in Spain for the crime. 

The authorities also ordered that three generals and two other colonels charged in the case be given alternative measures to detention because of their age and health condition.

Another general and a colonel accused in the case have already died. 

Ten Salvadoran soldiers were convicted of the killings in 1991, but an amnesty for crimes committed during the country’s 1980-1992 civil war meant they were freed in 1993.

Trending Now

Harvard’s Robert Waldinger Brings the World’s Longest Happiness Study to Costa Rica

One of the world’s leading experts on happiness and wellbeing is coming to Costa Rica, and time is running out to be part of...

Costa Rica Starts Pilot Program for Preschool Education

The Ministry of Public Education (MEP) has rolled out a pilot program that allows some three-year-old children to begin preschool this year. The move...

Costa Rica Closes 150 Schools in a Decade as Enrollment Drops

The Ministry of Public Education (MEP) reports that 150 schools have shut their doors over the past 10 years, a direct result of falling...

Costa Rica Faces Coastal Crisis with Manzanillo Losing to Sea Rise

Waves pounded Manzanillo's shoreline last week, claiming more ground from the beach. In a matter of days, the sea pushed forward several meters, exposing...

Puerto Rico Dances as Bad Bunny Owns Super Bowl Stage with Latin Power

Bad Bunny took center stage at the Super Bowl LX halftime show on Sunday, delivering a performance packed with Puerto Rican pride that had...

Families March in San Salvador to Block Mass Trials of El Salvador Detainees

Relatives of prisoners detained in El Salvador’s anti-gang campaign marched through the capital on Sunday to reject plans for mass trials. They say the...
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel

Latest News from Costa Rica