No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeNewsCosta RicaCoronavirus in Costa Rica: 21 new cases, 8 more recoveries

Coronavirus in Costa Rica: 21 new cases, 8 more recoveries

Costa Rica confirmed 21 new cases of the coronavirus over the past day, totaling 951 cumulative known cases, the Health Ministry announced Monday afternoon.

Over the same period, eight more people recovered from COVID-19, leaving Costa Rica with 628 total recoveries and 313 known active cases.

The 21 new cases are the highest day-over-day increase since April 9.

“This is a call to attention,” said Health Minister Daniel Soto. “There could come a moment when cases could skyrocket and there would be nothing we could do, so that’s why we need to be vigilant.”

Ten people have died after contracting the coronavirus. Fifteen people are hospitalized with COVID-19; two people are in intensive care.

Costa Rica has processed a total of 23,580 diagnostic tests for SARS-CoV-2 (202 more than Sunday), which corresponds to 4,613 tests per 1 million people. The country has averaged 330 daily tests over the last five days.

Ongoing coronavirus measures

Costa Rica has extended its border restrictions, banning foreign visitors until June 15. The government has announced a timeline for reopening the country and began opening national parks and beaches last week.

“Imported cases are one of the biggest risks we face as a country,” Román Macaya, president of the Costa Rican Social Security System, said Saturday.

Health Minister Daniel Salas said Monday that Costa Rica will re-apply measures if the amount of cases begins impacting the country’s healthcare capacity.

“Let’s be responsible, please,” said the Minister of Public Security, Michael Soto, noting the amount of people who have flouted health recommendations. “You are risking your health, and also the health of your family and people around you.”

If you believe you may have contracted the coronavirus or have questions regarding the virus, contact Costa Rican health authorities by dialing 1322.

Active coronavirus cases in Costa Rica

Abangares and La Cruz each recorded four new cases on Monday; Cañas has seen the most significant rise in active cases over the last week.

Click a blue marker for more information. Data updated through May 25.

Timeline of COVID-19 in Costa Rica

Costa Rica is enforcing nationwide driving restrictions until June 1. Click here for full details.

Trending Now

Thousands of Dead Crabs Wash Ashore on Guanacaste Beaches

Thousands of dead crabs have washed up along some of Guanacaste's best-known beaches, and nobody yet knows why. The animals have turned up at...

Costa Rica Lawmakers Challenge Sweeping State-Secrecy Order

Opposition lawmakers asked Costa Rica’s Constitutional Chamber today to immediately suspend a decree that places broad categories of government security information, including budgets and...

China’s Xi Warns Against Outside Interference in Latin America

Chinese President Xi Jinping defended Latin America’s “independence and self-reliance” during talks with Ecuadorian President Daniel Noboa, arguing that countries in the region should...

More than 900 Costa Rican schools have no classes this Monday

If your child goes to school in Turrialba, Sarapiquí, Limón or Sulá, there are no classes today. Those four areas are closed in full,...

Costa Rica Plans to Move Domestic Flights Out of Juan Santamaría

If you fly into Costa Rica and connect onward to Drake Bay, Tortuguero, Nosara or Puerto Jiménez, the government wants to move that second...

Paulo Wanchope expected back at Herediano for a third spell in charge

The former Manchester City and West Ham striker is reported to be closing an agreement to take over at Herediano, a job he has held twice before. The club has not announced it.

Man Allegedly Collected North American Woman’s Pension for 20 Years

Costa Rican prosecutors are investigating a man suspected of collecting about $800,000 from the pension of a North American woman who died more than...

Former Costa Rica Health Minister’s Trial Delayed After Lawyer Leaves Case

The trial of former Health Minister Joselyn Chacón has been postponed until October after a court ruled that her attorney had abandoned the defense...

Costa Rica Declares a National Emergency in Nine Flood Hit Areas

Costa Rica has declared an emergency in nine areas after days of heavy rain caused flooding, damaged roads and left more than 700 people in shelters
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel