Costa Rica extends coronavirus border restrictions until June 15
Costa Rica has extended its entry restrictions in response to the coronavirus pandemic until June 15.
Until at least that date, Costa Rica will deny entry to tourists and non-resident foreigners, the Public Security Ministry announced Thursday. The restriction applies to the country’s ports of entry via land, air or sea.
Exceptions may be made for “humanitarian cases,” Public Security Minister Michael Soto has said previously, but those instances must be approved by the Immigration Administration, the Health Ministry and the Foreign Ministry.
Costa Rica’s partial border shutdown began March 19.
Citizens, residents and tourists are all still allowed to leave Costa Rica. However, foreign residents who leave or left the country on March 24 or later are unable to re-enter Costa Rica until further notice.
Anyone caught entering the country illegally will have his or her residency status revoked.
In addition, citizens and residents entering Costa Rica will be assigned a mandatory 14-day quarantine by Immigration Police.
The Immigration Administration has announced that tourists and others who overstay their visas due to the coronavirus crisis will not be fined when they next try to exit Costa Rica.
Foreigners who entered Costa Rica on a tourist visa after December 17, 2019, can legally remain in Costa Rica until July 17, 2020 without lapsing into an irregular immigration status.
Costa Rica has also extended driving allowances for tourists using foreign licenses.
Commercial flights between the United States and Costa Rica have resumed in very limited capacity; United Airlines began serving the country with a direct flight from Houston this month. The availability of commercial flights does not supersede Costa Rica’s entry restrictions.
The Health Ministry continues to ask citizens and residents to avoid nonessential travel and to stay home when possible.
You may be interested
Costa Rica adds 25 new coronavirus casesAlejandro Zúñiga - May 30, 2020
Costa Rica confirmed 25 new cases of the coronavirus over the past day, totaling 1,047 cumulative known cases, the Health…
Dengue cases on the rise throughout Costa RicaAlejandro Zúñiga - May 30, 2020
Costa Rica's Health Ministry declared an outbreak of dengue in the San José canton of Pérez Zeledón, the institution said…
Costa Rica lifting more measures in June; country adds 22 new coronavirus casesAlejandro Zúñiga - May 29, 2020
Costa Rica confirmed 22 new cases of the coronavirus over the past day, totaling 1,022 cumulative known cases, the Health…