Nicaraguan human rights group closes office after ‘alarming’ threats
The Nicaraguan Association for Human Rights (ANPDH) said Sunday it is closing its offices following “alarming” threats to its staff over its high-profile reporting on the violent repression of anti-government protests.
The group said it had received “alarming information” of plans to persecute its workers by charging them with fabricated crimes. It said it had received a stream of death threats by telephone and that its Managua offices had effectively been under siege by armed groups.
AFP was unable to confirm media reports that ANPDH head Alvaro Leiva had been forced to flee the country following death threats.
But Inter-American Commission on Human Rights executive secretary Paulo Abrao reported on Twitter he had, by chance, met Leiva and his team at a Honduras airport “in transit to Costa Rica.”
“I confess I never imagined witnessing a self-exile in its exact moment. Crying, they said despite the cost, it was worth defending human rights in Nicaragua,” he wrote.
ANPDH has actively reported on what it said were starkly repressive measures by the Daniel Ortega government against protesters, regularly updating a toll of those killed, wounded or missing.
An ANPDH statement said it was closing its offices temporarily “in order to guarantee the safety and physical integrity” of its staff. The group will continue to collect complaints filed electronically.
By the association’s latest count, the violence surrounding the protests has left 448 people dead, most of them protesters.
That number is far greater than the 317 deaths estimated last week by the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights. But the IACHR has said the Nicaraguan state is guilty of “repression and criminalization of demonstrators” resulting in “gross human rights violations.”
Together with the Catholic Church in Nicaragua — which has tried to mediate between the government and protesters — the ANPDH helped arrange the release of hundreds of dissidents who had been detained illegally.
It estimates some 600 people have disappeared since protests began in mid-April.
Ortega has accused his political opponents and human rights groups of being part of a “coup-minded” conspiracy financed by the United States.
The U.S. in turn has warned Nicaragua to halt the violence, which began amid protests over social security cutbacks, but quickly drew energy from widespread anger over what protesters say is the corrupt and dictatorial Ortega leadership.
You may be interested
Costa Rica coronavirus updates for Friday, August 7Alejandro Zúñiga - August 7, 2020
Costa Rica announced 18 new coronavirus-related deaths over the past day for a total of 218, according to official data…
News briefs: Government promises to adjust pandemic restrictionsAlejandro Zúñiga - August 7, 2020
The coronavirus crisis has transformed life in Costa Rica, which has enacted measures to protect the capacity of its health…
ECLAC projects 23% drop in exports in Latin America and the Caribbean due to pandemicAFP - August 7, 2020
International trade in Latin America and the Caribbean could fall 23% in 2020 due to the impact of the coronavirus…