No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsHealthCosta Rica health officials confirm 2 new cases of H1N1 flu virus

Costa Rica health officials confirm 2 new cases of H1N1 flu virus

The director of San Carlos Hospital in northern Costa Rica, Edgar Carrillo Rojas, on Monday confirmed that doctors are treating two patients diagnosed with the H1N1 flu virus.

Both patients reportedly are in critical condition. One faces complications caused by pneumonia, and the other has bronchopneumonia, Carrillo said.

The hospital is treating a total of 10 patients with respiratory diseases, mostly pneumonia, but doctors are so far unable to confirm that all are attributable to H1N1, because the Costa Rican Nutrition and Health Research Institute is closed for the holidays.

Of the 10 patients admitted last week, three are in critical condition. The remaining seven are in stable condition, Carrillo said. Hospital officials on Sunday transferred an 11-year-old girl with severe pneumonia symptoms to the National Children’s Hospital in San José

The Health Ministry’s director of health surveillance, Roberto Castro, on Monday ruled out that a man who died from respiratory complications last Thursday at that hospital was infected with the H1N1 virus, also known as swine flu.

Hospital officials are awaiting the autopsy results of two other men, a Tico and a Nicaraguan aged 20 and 21, respectively, who died last week within 36 hours of being admitted with severe symptoms of pneumonia.

“At this point I can’t confirm whether they died because of H1N1 virus, but it is a positibility considering the symptoms they presented,” Carrillo said.

San Carlos Hospital officials last Friday reported that throughout the week they had attended an average of 50 patients a day with respiratory diseases. The spike in sick people forced officials to open a special consultation service inside a quarantined area of the emergency room and to temporarily cancel visits to most of the hospital’s areas.

Carrillo said officials are aware that an influenza outbreak has been affecting several Nicaraguan communities in recent months, and they do not rule out that the increase in respiratory diseases in San Carlos could be related to the canton’s proximity to the border with that country.

Last year a total of 17 people died in Costa Rica from H1N1 influenza, and so far this year, the Health Ministry has officially confirmed two more.

The H1N1 flu mostly causes sore throat, a phlegmy cough, fatigue and difficulty breathing as warning signs. It was first detected in the U.S. in April 2009 and spreads mainly from person to person through coughing, sneezing or talking.

Trending Now

Costa Rica Audit Finds 157 Unfinished Works and Safety Risks on Route 32

A new technical audit of the Route 32 expansion has identified 157 unfinished works, unstable slopes and road-safety problems along the highway connecting central...

Costa Rica Declares a National Emergency in Nine Flood Hit Areas

Costa Rica has declared an emergency in nine areas after days of heavy rain caused flooding, damaged roads and left more than 700 people in shelters

Costa Rica Court Targets Illegal Land Use at Playa Dominical

Costa Rica’s Constitutional Court has ordered the Municipality of Osa to do more to remove unapproved businesses and makeshift structures from public beachfront land...

Argentine Thiago Tirante Extends Dream Cincinnati Run Into Quarterfinals

Thiago Agustín Tirante’s breakthrough week at the Cincinnati Open continued Wednesday as the Argentine rallied past Jakub Mensik to reach the first ATP Masters...

Former Costa Rica Health Minister’s Trial Delayed After Lawyer Leaves Case

The trial of former Health Minister Joselyn Chacón has been postponed until October after a court ruled that her attorney had abandoned the defense...

Costa Rica Expands Online English Classes to 100 Rural Schools

More than 2,000 children in rural Costa Rican communities are now receiving English lessons through a technology-based program that connects small schools with specialized...

Costa Rica Raises Yellow Alert as Tropical Wave Arrives

If you are driving on the Caribbean side or through the Northern Zone today, check that your route is open before you leave the...

Costa Rica’s Route 32 Reopens After a Morning Landslide Shuts the Highway

Route 32 closed for about four hours Saturday morning after material fell on the San José-Limón highway. Here are the alternates and why the road can shut again.

Costa Rica Marks National Parks Day With Free Admission

Costa Rica will offer free entry to national parks on August 24 for citizens, residents and international visitors. Reservations are still required at many popular parks.
L. Arias
L. Arias
Reporter | The Tico Times |
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel