No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsBusinessCosta Rican Electricity Institute appeals ₡2 billion fine by regulators

Costa Rican Electricity Institute appeals ₡2 billion fine by regulators

The Costa Rican Electricity Institute (ICE) is challenging a ₡2.2 billion ($4 million) fine levied by the Telecommunications Superintendency (SUTEL) for unfair competition involving discounted offers for ICE phone service.

SUTEL sanctioned ICE alleging the carrier carried out anti-competitive practices in 2011 and 2012 that affected its new competitors Movistar and Claro. The investigation was prompted by a complaint filed by Spanish telecom Telefónica, which operates in Costa Rica as the brand Movistar.

The regulatory agency alleges that ICE’s unfair practices consisted of rate discounts offered under a promotion called “Chip Extremo” aimed at attracting prepaid mobile phone users. The promotion was conducted twice in two years, first from November to December 2011, and then from October to November 2012.

ICE’s appeal calls the SUTEL action illegal, inconsistent and flawed due to a “lack of proof and evidence to justify the sanction.” It also argues that ICE’s promotions did not cause any of its competitors to exit the market or block entry to new competitors.

On Wednesday, ICE Telecommunications Manager Jaime Palermo said “SUTEL itself has recognized that the mobile telecommunications’ market is vulnerable to competitive practices from all carriers, as all of them sell below operating costs.” He added that, “even Telefónica has reached the same conclusion.”

The appeal also states that Telefónica filed the complaint with SUTEL only 15 days after launching operations in Costa Rica as a measure to prevent ICE from conducting its promotions.

“During the investigated period this carrier managed to increase its market share and even conducted more aggressive promotions than those from ICE, and yet only ICE was sanctioned,” Palermo said in a public statement.

SUTEL’s council will analyze ICE’s appeal, and in the case that the resolution does not favor the state-owned company, ICE has the right to proceed with a challenge in court.

The regulatory agency last month announced that in coming weeks it will conduct a study to determine which markets have the apropriate conditions to be open for competition. Such a resolution would mean that each carrier would be free to set rates.

ICE, under its brand name kölbi, leads Costa Rica’s mobile market with a 72 percent share, followed by Mexican carrier Claro with 13.6 percent, Movistar with 13.4 percent, and locals Tuyo Móvil and Full Móvil with less than 1 percent each.

Trending Now

More than 900 Costa Rican schools have no classes this Monday

If your child goes to school in Turrialba, Sarapiquí, Limón or Sulá, there are no classes today. Those four areas are closed in full,...

Costa Rica Opens Eight-Lane Circunvalación Bridge in San José

All eight lanes of the Circunvalación bridge over the María Aguilar River reopened yesterday, restoring normal traffic on one of San José’s busiest highways...

Costa Rica Seals Security Contracts as “Operation Pegasus” Remark Goes Unexplained

A decree in force since August 10 seals Costa Rican security records including procurement files, as a governing-party lawmaker's unexplained "Operation Pegasus" remark sharpens the dispute.

Family Demands Answers on Missing Political Prisoners in Nicaragua

Relatives of a retired military officer and his wife, who were detained a year ago in Nicaragua, demanded Saturday that the government of Daniel...

Costa Rica Study Examines How Water-Resistant Sunscreen Affects Body Heat

Some water-resistant sunscreens may slightly reduce the body’s ability to cool itself during prolonged exercise in hot conditions, according to research conducted at the...

Search Intensifies for Missing Hiker in Costa Rica’s Chirripó National Park

Rescue teams continued searching today for a 58-year-old man who has been missing for several days inside Chirripó National Park, one of Costa Rica’s...

Costa Rica Raises Yellow Alert as Tropical Wave Arrives

If you are driving on the Caribbean side or through the Northern Zone today, check that your route is open before you leave the...

Venus Williams Falls to Emiliana Arango in Cincinnati Open First Round

Venus Williams’ return to the Cincinnati Open ended in the first round Friday as Colombian qualifier Emiliana Arango defeated the seven-time Grand Slam champion...

Costa Rica Wildlife Study Records 79 Species at Reserva Conchal

A year-long wildlife study at Reserva Conchal in Guanacaste documented 79 species of mammals, birds and reptiles, nearly double the 40 recorded during the...
L. Arias
L. Arias
Reporter | The Tico Times |
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel