No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeElections 2014Supreme Elections Tribunal increases security measures for Sunday's runoff

Supreme Elections Tribunal increases security measures for Sunday’s runoff

Some 88,000 people will be charged with supervising Sunday’s runoff election in which Ticos will choose Costa Rica’s next president for 2014-2018.

That figure represents an increase of 4,000 people compared to the first-round Feb. 2 election, Supreme Elections Tribunal (TSE) President Luis Antonio Sobrado said on Friday.

Most are voluntary staff in charge of monitoring polling stations, following accusations of ballot theft by a security officer last month.

Sunday’s vote also will be monitored by 180 national observers from nongovernmental organizations, universities and other local groups, as well as 102 international observers from 14 countries.

Josefina Vásquez Mota, a member of the Organization of American States and head of the international observers group, said she is satisfied with the security measures adopted by the TSE, as well as the tribunal’s efforts to implement OAS recommendations following February’s vote.

The first recommendation addresses the transparency of polls released during the first-round campaign, which prompted the TSE to order polling companies to fully disclose survey methodology. That information is available on the TSE’s website.

Observers also recommended legal amendments that would facilitate gender parity in access to public posts, which already is being considered by a bill in the Legislative Assembly.

Vásquez added that observers praised the level of citizen participation in Costa Rica on Election Day, “including children who helped people find polling centers.”

The TSE’s new security measures include better ballots, details of which “are kept secret,” Sobrado said.

Some changes are noticeable, including a hole in the center of the ballot that is cropped in a certain pattern. Ballots also display a security pattern printed irregularly on either the top or bottom according to provisions known only by TSE officials.

A total of 3,078,321 Ticos, including more than 12,000 Costa Ricans registered to vote from abroad, will choose Sunday between Citizen Action Party candidate Luis Guillermo Solís and ruling National Liberation Party candidate Johnny Araya. Araya in March opted to stop campaigning, but will be on the ballot.

The first preliminary results will be announced by the TSE at 8 p.m. on April 6.

Trending Now

Costa Rica Anglers Catch Rare Orange and Albino Nurse Shark

Anglers on a fishing trip off Costa Rica's Caribbean coast caught a nurse shark unlike any seen before: bright orange skin and stark white...

Honduras agrees to receive migrants under new US deportation agreement

The US has signed a new deportation agreement with Honduras, allowing officials to send migrants from other countries there instead of keeping them in...

Costa Rica Tourism Leaders Call for Action Amid Rising Insecurity

A surge in public insecurity and the sharp appreciation of the Costa Rican colón—up more than 20% since 2022—have become the leading threats to...

FBI Recordings Reveal Costa Rica Ex-Minister Celso Gamboa’s Drug Ties

Costa Rican authorities continue to hold former security minister Celso Gamboa in custody as U.S. officials push for his extradition on drug charges. Recent...

Costa Rica’s Role in US Deportation Drama with Salvadoran Migrant

A Salvadoran man at the center of a heated US immigration battle could end up in Costa Rica if he accepts a guilty plea,...

El Salvador Fires School Leaders After Bukele Shares Gang Video

The Minister of Education ordered the dismissal of the director and deputy director of a public institute shown in a video shared by President...
L. Arias
L. Arias
Reporter | The Tico Times |
spot_img
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Rocking Chait
Costa Rica Travel

Latest News from Costa Rica