No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeCentral AmericaEl SalvadorSalvadoran Newspaper Says Bukele Froze Partners’ Assets After Documentary

Salvadoran Newspaper Says Bukele Froze Partners’ Assets After Documentary

The influential digital newspaper El Faro denounced on Thursday that the government of Nayib Bukele froze assets belonging to its partners in retaliation for its reports on alleged dealings between the president and gang members. The measure, which affects a bank account and a property, is linked to an alleged tax debt that the newspaper denies.

Instead, El Faro connects the action to the recent publication of a documentary that expanded on its allegations about Bukele’s alleged dealings with criminals. The president, who governs with sweeping powers, rejects accusations that he made pacts with gangs in exchange for support to reach power in 2019. “The dictatorship has begun to move against the media outlet’s shareholders,” El Faro said in a statement. Its staff have been working in exile for the past year.

According to the newspaper, the government is once again responding with reprisals to publications about “its mafia pacts, its corruption, its interest in concentrating all power for itself and its close circles; and the effects this has on the Salvadoran population.” El Faro recently released a documentary that, it recalled, details Bukele’s alleged “criminal pacts,” which broke down in 2022 and gave way to an anti-gang war.

That offensive, carried out under a state of exception, has led to the arrest of around 92,000 people without judicial warrants and has prompted allegations of crimes against humanity from a group of international jurists. The “ultimate objective is to silence us,” El Faro said, noting that the freezing of assets is being justified as a measure to guarantee the eventual payment of obligations.

The process began in 2020, and the government has failed to prove its accusations of tax evasion and even money laundering, the publication maintained. In 2023, after 25 years in El Salvador, El Faro moved its administrative and legal structure to Costa Rica. The complaint came one day after a press association reported that El Salvador recorded in 2025 the largest wave of journalists going into exile since the end of its civil war three decades ago, amid fears of detention and attacks by officials.

Some 53 communicators left the country last year because of “harassment, surveillance, threats or under the category of preventive exile,” the Association of Journalists of El Salvador (APES) said in its annual report.

Trending Now

Costa Rica Heavy Rains Cause Flooding and Travel Disruptions

Heavy rains from Tropical Wave No. 32 left flooding, overflowing rivers, landslides and road problems across several parts of Costa Rica, while forecasters warned...

What happened to Galeria Namu?

Founded in 1998, Galeria Namu had become a must-visit attraction for tourists visiting San Jose, as well as for many nationals, interested in seeing...

Williams Sisters Lose Cincinnati Open Doubles Thriller

Serena and Venus Williams came within two points of completing a dramatic comeback Monday night, but their long-awaited doubles reunion ended with a 2-6,...

Costa Rica Hands Macho Coca and Compadre to US Agents in New York Cases

Costa Rica surrendered two men wanted on United States drug trafficking charges to American agents on this morning, closing extradition proceedings that had run...

General Cañas Highway Lane Closures Begin Monday in Costa Rica

Drivers using the General Cañas Highway between Alajuela and San José should prepare for additional congestion beginning Monday as crews carry out eight days...

Family Demands Answers on Missing Political Prisoners in Nicaragua

Relatives of a retired military officer and his wife, who were detained a year ago in Nicaragua, demanded Saturday that the government of Daniel...

Guanacaste Airport Outpaces Costa Rica’s Main Airport

Costa Rica welcomed more than 2 million international tourists during the first seven months of 2026, but the clearest sign of change was not...

Possible Archaeological Find in Costa Rica Delays Water Project

A long-awaited project to bring piped drinking water to Isla Caballo has hit another delay after crews uncovered ceramic pieces, shells and fossil material...

Brandon Nakashima Saves Three Match Points to Stun Daniil Medvedev at Cincinnati Open

Brandon Nakashima saved three consecutive match points before completing a dramatic comeback against Daniil Medvedev on Tuesday at the Cincinnati Open. The 27th-seeded American...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel