No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeCosta RicaCosta Rica's President Fernández Calls Attorney General a National Disgrace

Costa Rica’s President Fernández Calls Attorney General a National Disgrace

President Laura Fernández unleashed a barrage of personal attacks on Costa Rica’s top judicial officials on Wednesday, calling the country’s attorney general a “national disgrace” and mocking a Supreme Court magistrate’s complaint about the tone of a recent White House-style summit, just 48 hours after she had publicly praised the same meeting as a “working table” with “willingness for dialogue.”

The reversal, delivered during Fernández’s first weekly press conference since taking office on May 8, marks the clearest signal yet that her young administration intends to govern through open confrontation with the judicial branch, continuing the combative posture established by her predecessor and political mentor, former president Rodrigo Chaves Robles.

“I was stunned, frankly I can’t find another word, stunned by Monday’s meeting,” Fernández said of the May 18 encounter at Casa Presidencial with Supreme Court president Orlando Aguirre Gómez, Third Chamber magistrate Patricia Solano Castro, and Attorney General Carlo Díaz Sánchez. “It seems they live in Narnia, in a fable from the cartoons we used to watch, where impunity doesn’t matter much and judicial backlog doesn’t either.”

Her sharpest words were reserved for Díaz, the attorney general whom Chaves spent much of his administration trying to push out of office. Asked about Díaz’s comment that the president behaved more cordially behind closed doors than in front of the cameras, Fernández replied: “Did you think that because I’m a woman, or because I’m young, or because I’m not Rodrigo Chaves, I would stop raising my voice and pointing you out as a national disgrace for what you’ve done to this country day after day? Forgive me, sir.”

When the topic turned to magistrate Solano, who had told reporters on Tuesday that the Casa Presidencial meeting felt “hostile” and that attendees had their cell phones confiscated and her handbag searched on arrival, Fernández responded with sarcasm. “What did she want, that I bring her roses? That I bring her a serenade? We just buried a Fuerza Pública officer last week, shot in the back. People need to have some shame. What kind of meeting did they think they were going to have with me? The little Maria cookie and a cup of tea? No, sir.”

Fernández also accused Solano of breaking a confidentiality agreement around what the president emphasized was a “pri-va-te meeting,” drawing out the syllables for effect. When she delivered the “national disgrace” line about Díaz, members of her cabinet applauded, including her minister of the presidency, Rodrigo Chaves Robles. Vice President Francisco Gamboa Soto did not join in, according to footage of the press conference.

The shift in tone is striking because it followed a meeting Fernández herself had described in conciliatory terms on Monday. After two and a half hours behind closed doors, she announced agreement on three of the five points on her agenda, including a commitment that the Judicial Inspection Tribunal would investigate sentencing-execution judges, that the courts would strengthen anti-corruption policy, and that the Judicial Investigation Agency and prosecutors would coordinate with the security ministry. She even acknowledged that “I’ll take from my own bag whatever we can improve and correct.”

Costa Rican analysts say the about-face fits a pattern. Fernández won the February 2026 election promising to “consolidate the political rupture movement begun in 2022,” a reference to Chaves’s combative four-year term. Chaves personally led a march through San José in March 2025 demanding Díaz’s resignation, with Fernández marching alongside him. In the days before the May 8 transition, Chaves publicly urged his successor “not to ease up” on pressure against the judiciary.

The two leaders share the same political vehicle, the Sovereign People’s Party, and now share a cabinet table: Fernández named Chaves her minister of the presidency, a position that places him at the center of executive decision-making despite Costa Rica’s constitutional ban on consecutive presidential re-election.

What separates them, observers note, is style rather than substance. Where Chaves favored frontal insults and street mobilizations, Fernández so far prefers irony, sarcasm, and media-ready one-liners. The strategic direction, however, is identical: cast the judicial branch as the government’s principal adversary and treat each clash with magistrates and prosecutors as a demonstration of executive strength.

Fernández herself appeared to anticipate the comparison. Addressing Díaz directly, she told him: “Learn to know me and get used to how this working relationship is going to be.”

The broader stakes extend beyond the personalities involved. The Fernández government has signaled it intends to introduce constitutional and legal reforms to the judicial system in June, and threats to withhold budget transfers to the Poder Judicial have already surfaced. For foreign investors, our expat and tourism communities that depend on Costa Rica’s reputation for institutional stability, the trajectory of the executive-judicial relationship has become one of the most important variables to watch.

Trending Now

Williams Sisters Lose Cincinnati Open Doubles Thriller

Serena and Venus Williams came within two points of completing a dramatic comeback Monday night, but their long-awaited doubles reunion ended with a 2-6,...

Costa Rica Declares a National Emergency in Nine Flood Hit Areas

Costa Rica has declared an emergency in nine areas after days of heavy rain caused flooding, damaged roads and left more than 700 people in shelters

Guanacaste Airport Outpaces Costa Rica’s Main Airport

Costa Rica welcomed more than 2 million international tourists during the first seven months of 2026, but the clearest sign of change was not...

Costa Rica President Sends Eight Major Proposals to Congress

President Laura Fernández has presented eight new bills that could change how Costa Rica handles pensions, loans, government contracts, internet funding and several other...

Mother’s Day Is a Full National Holiday in Costa Rica

Today is Día de la Madre, and it is a full national holiday in Costa Rica, not just a greeting-card occasion. Public offices are...

Paulo Wanchope expected back at Herediano for a third spell in charge

The former Manchester City and West Ham striker is reported to be closing an agreement to take over at Herediano, a job he has held twice before. The club has not announced it.

Novak Djokovic Reveals Health Issue After Cincinnati Open Loss

Novak Djokovic’s return to competition lasted just one match Saturday as the 24-time Grand Slam champion struggled physically in the Cincinnati heat before suffering...

Costa Rica’s Route 32 Reopens After a Morning Landslide Shuts the Highway

Route 32 closed for about four hours Saturday morning after material fell on the San José-Limón highway. Here are the alternates and why the road can shut again.

Costa Rica Closes Turrialba Volcano and Guayabo Monument Due to Heavy Rains

Two popular to visit in the Turrialba area have closed temporarily as continued rainfall and saturated ground raise the risk of landslides and other...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel