No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeSportArgentine Wave Sweeps Roland-Garros as Báez Retires, Burruchaga Makes History

Argentine Wave Sweeps Roland-Garros as Báez Retires, Burruchaga Makes History

Four Argentine men advanced to the second round of Roland-Garros today in a dramatic day for Latin American tennis, headlined by Román Burruchaga’s first-ever Grand Slam victory after his compatriot Sebastián Báez retired mid-match in an all-Argentine showdown on Court 12.

Burruchaga, ranked 68th, was trailing 2-6, 7-5, 6-2, 2-0 when Báez (64th) could no longer continue, handing the 24-year-old his maiden second-round berth at a major. Báez had stormed through the opening set and looked headed for a routine win before the match turned.

It was the fourth time Báez has retired from a Grand Slam, following pull-outs at the US Open in 2022 and 2024 and at last year’s Wimbledon. Burruchaga, the recent champion of the Latin America Open Challenger in São Paulo, will face the winner of Felix Auger-Aliassime against Daniel Altmaier for a place in the third round.

The Argentine surge did not stop there. Juan Manuel Cerúndolo dispatched Britain’s Jacob Fearnley 6-2, 7-6, 7-6, while Francisco Comesaña fought past American Ethan Quinn 6-4, 7-6 (8), 7-6 (4) in his Roland-Garros main-draw debut, holding nerve through two tense tiebreaks. Qualifier Facundo Díaz Acosta delivered the most emphatic statement of the afternoon, brushing aside China’s Zhizhen Zhang 6-1, 6-4, 6-3 for his first ever main-draw win in Paris.

The four Tuesday victories pushed Argentina’s first-round tally to seven men advancing, after Francisco Cerúndolo, Mariano Navone, Camilo Ugo Carabelli, Thiago Tirante and veteran Marco Trungelliti had all won their openers on Sunday and Monday. Only 23rd seed Tomás Etcheverry was eliminated, falling to Portugal’s Nuno Borges. Argentina’s lone woman in the main draw, Solana Sierra, also remains alive after stunning 2021 US Open champion Emma Raducanu 6-0, 7-6 (4) in her Roland-Garros debut.

Brazil’s teenage prodigy Joao Fonseca, seeded 28th, kept South American hopes alive on the men’s side with a 7-6 (6), 6-4, 6-2 win over French qualifier Luka Pavlovic on Sunday. The 19-year-old next faces Croatian Dino Prizmic, who recently upset Novak Djokovic in Rome. Bolivian veteran Hugo Dellien was the most notable Latin American casualty of the opening days, falling to Frenchman Valentin Royer in straight sets.

The second round begins Wednesday, with Trungelliti facing 13th seed Karen Khachanov on Court Suzanne Lenglen as the first Argentine in action. Comesaña draws a difficult assignment against Italian-Argentine Luciano Darderi, the 14th seed, while Juan Manuel Cerúndolo could be in line to meet world No. 1 Jannik Sinner. The men’s final is scheduled for June 7 on Court Philippe-Chatrier.

Trending Now

Costa Rica Named Among Top Destinations for Solo Travelers

Costa Rica has been included among 25 of the world’s best destinations for people traveling alone in a 2026 selection by Travel + Leisure,...

Nicaragua Bishop Abelardo Mata Says He Is Well After Detention

Catholic Bishop Abelardo Mata, a critic of Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega, said he is in good condition in an interview broadcast Wednesday by the...

Costa Rica Seals Security Contracts as “Operation Pegasus” Remark Goes Unexplained

A decree in force since August 10 seals Costa Rican security records including procurement files, as a governing-party lawmaker's unexplained "Operation Pegasus" remark sharpens the dispute.

The Panama Canal Opened 112 Years Ago Today

Twelve years of digging, an estimated 27,500 deaths and roughly $375 million ended quietly on the morning of August 15, 1914, when a single...

Five Costa Rican Surfers Advance at Playa Hermosa WSL Event

Five Costa Rican surfers remain in contention at the Garabito Surf City Pro after advancing to the round of 32 at the World Surf...

What happened to Galeria Namu?

Founded in 1998, Galeria Namu had become a must-visit attraction for tourists visiting San Jose, as well as for many nationals, interested in seeing...

More than 900 Costa Rican schools have no classes this Monday

If your child goes to school in Turrialba, Sarapiquí, Limón or Sulá, there are no classes today. Those four areas are closed in full,...

Costa Rica Closes Turrialba Volcano and Guayabo Monument Due to Heavy Rains

Two popular to visit in the Turrialba area have closed temporarily as continued rainfall and saturated ground raise the risk of landslides and other...

Costa Rica’s Route 32 Reopens After a Morning Landslide Shuts the Highway

Route 32 closed for about four hours Saturday morning after material fell on the San José-Limón highway. Here are the alternates and why the road can shut again.
Steven Hodel
Steven Hodel
Steven Hodel is the Tennis Correspondent for The Tico Times, covering the ATP and WTA tours and Latin American players from his base in Costa Rica. Reach him at steve@ticotimes.net or on X at @theticotimes.
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel