No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeCentral AmericaHondurasOn the road with a Migrant Caravan leaving Honduras

On the road with a Migrant Caravan leaving Honduras

Hundreds of men, women and children gathered early Saturday morning in the parking lot of San Pedro Sula’s main transit hub, on the edge of the northern Honduran city.

Before the sun rose, many had already departed on foot, carrying the few belongings they had in backpacks or bags towards Corinto, a small Honduran border town on the other side of the mountains.

While their final destination is the United States, their main goal is “a better future for their family,” said a Nicaraguan who provided only his first name, Ovaldo.

Originally from the Nicaraguan capital Managua, he lamented that the situation in his country “is quite difficult,” and his family faced “a very hard road.”

He was accompanied by about 500 other migrants from a variety of countries including Honduras, Haiti, Venezuela and Nicaragua. Some had even crossed the ocean from Africa.

They will join a nearly endless flow of people attempting to cross into Guatemala, then Mexico and ultimately the United States — which most will not manage to do.

At the Corinto border crossing, the group had arrived all together but broke into smaller groups to go through Guatemalan immigration.

Those who were missing identification or proof of a negative Covid-19 test were sent back into Honduras, according to an AFP photographer on the scene. Migrants who do make it past will still have more than 1,200 miles (2,000 kilometers) until the US border.

Guatemalan authorities said about 150 people entered the country at unauthorized crossings because they lacked the papers to get in.

A group of about 100 migrants who got past immigration controls were stopped in the jurisdiction of Izabal, near the border, where they threw stones and blunt objects at security forces.

The clashes injured a dozen officers who were trying to get the migrants to turn back, officials said. The last caravan to leave San Pedro Sula was in January 2021, and contained about 7,000 people.

It was broken up in Guatemala, when hundreds of soldiers attacked the migrants with sticks and tear gas, forcing them to return to Honduras.

Migrants in Saturday’s caravan said they were risking the dangerous journey for multiple reasons: to escape violence from drug traffickers and gangs, but also to start anew after natural disasters such as floods and droughts upended their lives.

Trending Now

One of Costa Rica’s Must-Do Trips: The Water Taxi from Sierpe to Drake Bay

There are some trips in Costa Rica where the journey is every bit as memorable as the destination. The water taxi from Sierpe to...

World Surf League Returns to Costa Rica at Playa Hermosa

Professional surfing returns to Costa Rica’s international stage today as the Garabito Surf City PRO 2026 gets underway at Playa Hermosa, bringing an official...

Powerful Earthquake Strikes Colombia’s Pacific Coast

A powerful earthquake struck western Colombia on Monday morning, damaging buildings in the Pacific department of Chocó and sending office workers into the streets...

Costa Rica President Declares Security and Intelligence Information a ‘State Secret’

President Laura Fernández has placed a broad range of Costa Rican security and intelligence information under a “State Secret” designation, restricting public access to...

Costa Rica’s Water Squeeze Is Changing What Property Buyers Check First

If you are looking to buy land in Costa Rica, the document that will decide your purchase is not the title study. It is...

Latin American Qualifiers Face Double-Duty Day at Cincinnati Open

Latin America’s Cincinnati Open contingent faces a high-pressure Wednesday after severe weather disrupted the opening day of qualifying, leaving several players from the region...

Rescue Center Raises $20,000 to Stop Wildlife Electrocutions

The Jaguar Rescue Center has finished a fundraising campaign with the organization Ma Earth that raised $20,000 to insulate 50 electrical transformers in Costa...

Five Costa Rican Surfers Advance at Playa Hermosa WSL Event

Five Costa Rican surfers remain in contention at the Garabito Surf City Pro after advancing to the round of 32 at the World Surf...

American Detained in Costa Rica Over $3.6 Million Investment Fraud Case

OIJ Interpol agents detained a 46-year-old American in Pavas, San José, on an FBI warrant. A US civil case traces nearly $2.8 million to Costa Rican banks.
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel