No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeNewsCosta RicaOne year ago, we published our first coronavirus story

One year ago, we published our first coronavirus story

One year ago today, we published our first story about the novel coronavirus that was spreading in Wuhan, China.

Our headline from February 20, 2020: “With Ukraine’s support, Costa Rica evacuates citizens from Wuhan, China.”

In February and into March, Costa Rican health authorities prepared protocols for an eventual local case. That finally occurred on March 6, 2020, when Costa Rica confirmed its first case, which had been imported by U.S. citizens.

Authorities later identified a Costa Rican doctor — who had returned from Panama in late February — who was a vector for the country’s first major outbreak.

“This will continue spreading throughout the country,” Health Minister Daniel Salas said at the time. “What we have to ensure is that it doesn’t transmit in a massive form in the upcoming weeks.”

Like the rest of the world, Costa Rica experiences ongoing impacts of the coronavirus, even as a national vaccination campaign is underway. To date, Covid-19 has been attributed to 2,700 deaths in Costa Rica, and global efforts to slow the virus have tanked tourism and exacerbated unemployment.

Read our story from February 2020 below:

****

The Foreign Ministry of Costa Rica on Wednesday initiated the evacuation of two Ticos who were residing in Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the COVID-19 coronavirus that has been labeled as a global health emergency by the World Health Organization.

The pair of Costa Ricans were transported from China to Ukraine, where they will complete a mandatory quarantine. If they remain symptom-free, they will then be repatriated to Costa Rica.

“It has been a complex and challenging process in which we have put our greatest efforts to have a quick return of the two people to national territory and to give their families peace of mind,” said Rodolfo Solano Quirós, Costa Rica’s Foreign Minister.

The two individuals, whose identities were not revealed, flew to Ukraine on Wednesday.

A Foreign Ministry photo shows they were transported on a Boeing 737-700 aircraft owned by Ukrainian low-cost airline SkyUp. The flight departed Wuhan and refueled in Kazakhstan before arriving in the Eastern European country.

“The Government of Costa Rica thanks the Government of Ukraine for the solidarity expressed to the Costa Rican people through the evacuation and humanitarian assistance required for these two Costa Rican people,” a Foreign Ministry statement reads.

No Costa Rican citizens — in China or elsewhere — have contracted COVID-19, authorities say. Nearly 400 Ticos reside in China.

Since December, the novel coronavirus has killed 2,118 people in China — the epicenter of the epidemic — excluding Hong Kong and Macau.

Elsewhere in the world, the virus has killed 11 people and spread across some 25 countries.

Trending Now

Fernández Tours Flooded Limón as Pressure Builds for an Emergency Declaration

Fernández toured flooded Limón on Monday as a legislator pressed for a formal emergency declaration for the Caribbean.

Costa Rica Free-Zone Growth Slows to Weakest Pace Since 2020

Growth in Costa Rica’s free-zone economy slowed sharply in June, falling to its weakest pace since 2020 and extending a year-long deceleration in one...

Corcovado National Park Placed on Red Alert Over Sewage and Crumbling Infrastructure

A coalition of Costa Rican environmental organizations has placed Corcovado National Park under what it calls a red alert, warning that sewage discharges, decaying...

Possible Archaeological Find in Costa Rica Delays Water Project

A long-awaited project to bring piped drinking water to Isla Caballo has hit another delay after crews uncovered ceramic pieces, shells and fossil material...

Costa Rica Seals Security Contracts as “Operation Pegasus” Remark Goes Unexplained

A decree in force since August 10 seals Costa Rican security records including procurement files, as a governing-party lawmaker's unexplained "Operation Pegasus" remark sharpens the dispute.

The Unexpected Reason Some Travelers May Prefer Costa Rica

My friend Tomas has worked most of his life in one kind of tourism or another. He’s 100 percent Tico but spent many years...

Costa Rica Beach Overwhelmed by Trash Flowing Down Tárcoles River

A Pacific beach with the potential to attract tourists has instead become one of the clearest examples of Costa Rica’s struggle with waste, as...

Nicaragua Bishop Abelardo Mata Says He Is Well After Detention

Catholic Bishop Abelardo Mata, a critic of Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega, said he is in good condition in an interview broadcast Wednesday by the...

One of Costa Rica’s Must-Do Trips: The Water Taxi from Sierpe to Drake Bay

There are some trips in Costa Rica where the journey is every bit as memorable as the destination. The water taxi from Sierpe to...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel