Stricter health measures in five districts due to coronavirus spread
Editor’s note: As of June 6, 2020 the Orange Alert applies to the following districts: Cañas, Bebedero, Las Juntas, Los Chiles, Peñas Blancas, Cariari.
Our original story follows.
The National Emergency Commission (CNE) on Wednesday announced an orange alert for five districts in northern Costa Rica in response to the coronavirus.
The five districts are located in four cantons and three provinces. They are:
- Cariari in the canton of Pococí (Limón province).
- Cañas and Bebedero in the canton of Cañas (Guanacaste province).
- Las Juntas in the canton of Abangares (Guanacaste province).
- Peñas Blancas in the canton of San Ramón (Alajuela province).
The rest of the country remains under a yellow alert due to COVID-19.
But for the aforementioned districts, which have had recent increase in infections, stricter health measures will apply for two weeks starting Thursday, June 3. The restrictions are as follows:
- Businesses that are open to the public can only operate Monday to Friday from 5 am. to 5 p.m.
- On weekends, only supermarkets, grocery stores, pharmacies, and health services may operate.
- A weeknight vehicle restriction forbids most driving from 5 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Transit on all sectors of Route 1 (General Cañas Highway), Route 142 (Cañas – Tilarán – La Fortuna) and Route 6 (Cañas – Upala) will remain subject to the more lenient nationwide restrictions rather than the stricter regional ones.
As of June 3, San Ramón ranks second nationally with 40 active coronavirus cases, while Cañas (23), Pococí (20) and Abangares (19) all rank in the top seven.
You may be interested
Costa Rican diet contains too much salt, Health Ministry saysAlejandro Zúñiga - March 9, 2021
The average Costa Rican adult consumes twice the recommended value of salt each day, according to the Health Ministry. Ticos ingest…
Costa Rica creates commission to address gender unemployment gapAlejandro Zúñiga - March 9, 2021
In context of International Women's Day, Costa Rican leaders on Monday signed a decree to create a commission to address…
Vaccinated people don’t have to self-isolate after Covid contactAlejandro Zúñiga - March 8, 2021
People who are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 won’t have to isolate if they are a close contact to someone who…