No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeNewsTruth Commission calls for support to investigate violence in Nicaragua

Truth Commission calls for support to investigate violence in Nicaragua

The Truth Commission created by the Nicaraguan Parliament to investigate the violent acts that have left 47 dead during anti-government protests in recent weeks, announced Thursday that investigation has begun and that the committee hopes to receive the support of the Inter-American Court of Human Rights (IACHR), based in San José, Costa Rica.

“To fulfill its mission, the Commission has established and will develop contacts with specialized organizations in human rights on the national, regional and international level, such as the Inter-American Court of Human Rights, as well as the appropriate authorities,” the commission said in a statement read by one of its members, Mirna Cunningham, at a news conference.

“We consider the collaboration of the Inter-American Court of Human Rights to be valuable,” explained another member of the commission, Adolfo Jarquín, who said members have sent letters to the court rapporteur as well to Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega.

The rapporteur on human rights from the United Nations (UN) has also been contacted, he added.

VIDEO: Inside Nicaragua’s historic protests

The invitations must be issued by the Nicaraguan government, which has been pressured by various sectors within the country and by the United States to allow the participation of the Inter- American Court.

According to Jarquín, the government has not rejected the idea, as said last week, but rather that it “asked for time to advance” the organization of the Truth Commission and the implementation of national dialogue, for which no date has been set.

The Truth Commission was installed on Sunday by the parliament, dominated by the president’s party, to investigate the acts of violence that took place during anti-government protests that started on April 18 and have left 47 dead and more than 400 injured.

The commission said Thursday that it is preparing to investigate “the deaths, the wounded, the imprisoned, reports of missing persons, fires, and acts of vandalism,” as well as “destruction of private goods.”

Nicaragua’s primal scream

“The Committee is ready to start receiving reports and evidence from sectors, with no exclusion, effective immediately,” Cunningham said.

The investigation, which will last three months, will include an analysis of the origins of the protests and “where this is going,” she added.

On Tuesday, a student coalition that has lead the protests characterizied the Committee as “illegitimate” and demanded the formation of a “pluralist, just and trustworthy” entity.

Sandinista stronghold calls for Nicaraguan leader to end repression

 

Trending Now

Panama Canal Cuts Ship Traffic as El Niño Drought Worsens

The Panama Canal will allow fewer ships to pass through the waterway beginning in September as a drought linked to El Niño reduces the...

Costa Rica Raises Bus Fares Between San José and Nicaragua Border

Taking the bus from San José to the Nicaraguan border became more expensive today.The fare from San José to Peñas Blancas increased from ₡5,820...

Costa Rica Under Orange Alert as Caribbean Ground Reaches Saturation

Updated Monday at 11:40 a.m. Route 32 has reopened. The Río Chirripó bridge on Route 4 is closed. The ground across the Caribbean can no...

Mother’s Day Is a Full National Holiday in Costa Rica

Today is Día de la Madre, and it is a full national holiday in Costa Rica, not just a greeting-card occasion. Public offices are...

Costa Rica Closes Turrialba Volcano and Guayabo Monument Due to Heavy Rains

Two popular to visit in the Turrialba area have closed temporarily as continued rainfall and saturated ground raise the risk of landslides and other...

Nurses Strike at Hospital México After Staffing Talks Collapse

More than 180 nurses walked out at one of Costa Rica's three national referral hospitals after talks with the CCSS ended without agreement.

Costa Rica Court Targets Illegal Land Use at Playa Dominical

Costa Rica’s Constitutional Court has ordered the Municipality of Osa to do more to remove unapproved businesses and makeshift structures from public beachfront land...

What happened to Galeria Namu?

Founded in 1998, Galeria Namu had become a must-visit attraction for tourists visiting San Jose, as well as for many nationals, interested in seeing...

Costa Rica Moves Immigration Applications Online for Some Foreign Executives

Costa Rica has moved several immigration procedures for foreign executives and their families online, allowing eligible applicants to complete and track the process through...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel