No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsCrimeObama presents plan to close Guantanamo prison

Obama presents plan to close Guantanamo prison

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. President Barack Obama on Tuesday presented a long-awaited roadmap to close the controversial U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, saying it was time to shutter a facility that betrayed U.S. interests and values.

With less than a year left in office, Obama unveiled a plan that says the United States should continue to transfer low-risk detainees to other countries and which describes how 13 possible replacement facilities could save the U.S. taxpayer millions of dollars each year.

“For many years, it’s been clear that the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay does not advance our national security. It undermines it,” Obama said in a White House address. “This is about closing a chapter in our history. It reflects the lessons that we’ve learned since 9/11 — lessons that need to guide our nation going forward.”

A total of 91 suspected jihadists remain at Guantanamo, a prison that once housed about 700 inmates at its peak and has become synonymous around the world with torture, indefinite detention and orange jumpsuits.

Obama has pushed for Guantanamo’s closure since taking office in 2009, but his efforts have been thwarted by Republican lawmakers, many of whom see it as a useful tool in combating terror. Obama says the opposite is true, and that the facility feeds into anti-U.S., jihadist propaganda.

The U.S. president also has faced opposition from within his own administration, with the Pentagon accused of slow-pedaling transfers and overstating closure costs.

“This plan deserves a fair hearing, even in an election year,” Obama said Tuesday.

Sign at Guantanamo prison
Mladen Antonov/AFP

‘Dangerous precedent’

The Guantanamo Bay closure plan, which took months to produce, gives few specifics on where a U.S. facility would be, but military officials have previously listed Fort Leavenworth, Kansas or the U.S. Navy brig in Charleston, South Carolina among the possible destinations for inmates.

Those locations, however, face objections from local politicians.

The U.S. leader has long argued that many Guantanamo prisoners should be transferred overseas and some should be tried by military courts.

A small number — those deemed too dangerous to release but too difficult to prosecute — would be held in the United States.

But Congress has placed a ban on transfers to the U.S., deepening the legal thicket.

Human rights groups worry this would only extend detentions without trial and create a “Guantanamo North.”

“The possibility of a new, parallel system of lifelong incarceration inside the United States without charge would set a dangerous precedent,” Amnesty International said in a statement. “If successfully mounted, it would be a devastating blow to basic principles of criminal justice.”

Saving money?

The plan says a U.S. facility would save money over time. It currently costs about $455 million each year to run Guantanamo, and a U.S. site would reduce that amount by up to $180 million.

Most of the savings would come from a decrease in the number of troops guarding the reduced population on the U.S. mainland, but it could cost as much as $475 million in one-time expenses to move the men and build or update a facility to hold them.

“However, within three to five years the lower operating costs of a U.S. facility with fewer detainees … could fully offset these transition costs,” the report notes.

91 prisoners left

Both as a candidate and while president, Obama promised to close Guantanamo, arguing indefinite detention and “enhanced interrogation” violated the nation’s values and handed militants a potent recruiting tool.

Efforts to transfer prisoners overseas have been stymied by unrest in Yemen — a likely destination for many — and by recidivism among those already released.

Still, Defense Secretary Ashton Carter has in recent weeks signed off on a flurry of transfers, and last month, the prison’s population dropped below 100 for the first time.

Today, 91 inmates remain. Of them, 35 have been approved for release. The rest face ongoing, indefinite detention.

Perhaps the most notorious prisoner is Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who along with four co-defendants is charged with plotting the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

The Guantanamo Bay military prison was opened in January 2002 on a U.S. Naval base on a coastal spit of land in southeastern Cuba, leased from Havana under a treaty dating back to 1903.

It was set up after the 9/11 attacks under the administration of then-president George W. Bush to deal with prisoners who were termed “enemy combatants” and denied many U.S. legal rights.

Trending Now

What the Caribbean Green Alert Means for Your Weekend Plans

If you are going to the Caribbean coast or the Northern Zone over the next few days, plan for rain and give yourself more...

Costa Rica Dollar Exchange Rate Hits Historic Low as Central Bank Intervenes

The U.S. dollar has fallen to its lowest level in Costa Rica’s modern wholesale foreign-exchange market, increasing the squeeze on those residents who earn...

Costa Rica Under Orange Alert as Caribbean Ground Reaches Saturation

The ground across the Caribbean can no longer absorb water. Soil saturation in Caribbean river basins sits between 90 and 100%, according to the...

Costa Rica Runs Its National Evacuation Drill Wednesday

Costa Rica holds its eighth national evacuation drill Wednesday at 10 a.m. Here's what happens, how to take part, and what to prepare first.

Colombia Quake Death Toll Passes 200 as Rescue Efforts Intensify

The death toll from the powerful earthquake that struck western Colombia yesterday has climbed above 200 as rescue crews continue searching collapsed buildings and...

General Cañas Highway Lane Closures Begin Monday in Costa Rica

Drivers using the General Cañas Highway between Alajuela and San José should prepare for additional congestion beginning Monday as crews carry out eight days...

Costa Rica Moves Immigration Applications Online for Some Foreign Executives

Costa Rica has moved several immigration procedures for foreign executives and their families online, allowing eligible applicants to complete and track the process through...

Costa Rica Drills for Disaster Today While Its Quake Sensors Go Unfunded

Costa Rica evacuates at 10 a.m. today. The alarms are not real, you should go along with whoever asks you to leave the building,...

Fonseca and Cerúndolo Drawn Into the Same Cincinnati Quarter

The Cincinnati Open draw placed Fonseca and Cerúndolo in the same quarter, with Sinner and Alcaraz both absent through injury.
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel