No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsGlobalBernie Sanders: Central American refugees should not be 'cast out'

Bernie Sanders: Central American refugees should not be ‘cast out’

Democratic presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders said Thursday that he is “very disturbed” by reports that the Obama administration has begun preparing for a series of raids that would target for deportation families who fled violence in Central America.

“Our nation has always been a beacon of hope, a refuge for the oppressed,” the Vermont senator said in a statement. “We cannot turn our backs on that essential element of who we are as a nation. We need to take steps to protect children and families seeking refuge here, not cast them out.”

The Washington Post reported Wednesday night that the nationwide campaign, to be carried out by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents as soon as early January, could affect hundreds of families who have flocked to the United States since the start of last year. The ICE operation would target only adults and children who have been ordered removed from the United States by an immigration judge.

As he competes against Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination, Sanders has pledged, if elected president, to aggressively use executive action to offer protections to undocumented immigrants against deportation as he seeks comprehensive reform from Congress.

In polls, he lags far behind Clinton among both Latino and black voters and has been stepping up efforts to make inroads into those communities.

“As we spend time with our families this holiday season, we who are parents should ask ourselves what we would do if our children faced the danger and violence these children do?” Sanders said in his statement. “How far would we go to protect them?”

Another Democratic candidate, former Maryland governor Martin O’Malley, also spoke out on the plan being developed by the Department of Homeland Security.

“DHS’ Christmas Eve announcement that they are planning to launch mass holiday raids and deport families who risked their lives to flee violence in Central America is completely at odds with our character as a nation,” O’Malley said in a statement. “We must put an end to these mindless deportations.”

The Washington Post’s Jose A. DelReal contributed to this story.

© 2015, The Washington Post

Trending Now

Families March in San Salvador to Block Mass Trials of El Salvador Detainees

Relatives of prisoners detained in El Salvador’s anti-gang campaign marched through the capital on Sunday to reject plans for mass trials. They say the...

Costa Rica Cracks Down on Alleged Violations in Coris Wetlands

Authorities in Cartago carried out raids on Tuesday in an ongoing probe into suspected harm to the Coris wetland. The Deputy Environmental Prosecutor's Office...

Public Image Ltd Set to Make Costa Rica Debut in April

Rock fans in Costa Rica have a major event on the horizon. Public Image Ltd, the band led by John Lydon, plans to play...

More Than 1,000-Year-Old Tomb Found at El Caño in Panama

Archaeologists have excavated a tomb more than 1,000 years old containing human remains along with gold objects and ceramic vessels at El Caño in...

Costa Rica Joins Global Lunar New Year Observances With Community Festivities

The Chinese community in Costa Rica marked the approach of the Lunar New Year with a public celebration on February 14 in the Barrio...

U.S. State Department Warns Old Passports Canceled Immediately Upon Online Renewal

The U.S. State Department issued a direct reminder to American travelers renewing passports online. In a recent Facebook post, officials explained that the old...
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel

Latest News from Costa Rica