• Tico Travel Surfing
  • Squaremouth travel insurance button 468x106
  • Costa Rica Real Estate
  • Costa Rica Coffee Guide

Body of drowned U.S. man found near Jacó, says Red Cross

May 15, 2015

The Costa Rican Red Cross reported Friday morning that it had likely retrieved the body of a 34-year-old U.S. man who disappeared on Sunday afternoon, May 10.

The missing U.S. man was swimming on Jacó’s main beach Sunday when a riptide pulled him out to sea, according to Red Cross spokesman Freddy Roman. The body was spotted more than 2 miles out to sea by an Aerial Vigilance Service search-and-rescue flight Friday morning.

A boat was dispatched to collect the body, which was brought ashore at Madrigal Beach, not far from Jacó. Roman said that large waves and ocean currents complicated the search.

The Judicial Investigation Police has yet to confirm the identity of the victim due to the body’s decomposed state, OIJ spokeswoman Xinia Zamora said.

According to statistics from the Red Cross, 19 people died in water-related accidents in 2014 in the province of Puntarenas, home to Jacó and many of Costa Rica’s famous beaches.

Along with its search for the missing U.S. man, the Red Cross reported several other missing persons cases this week. Searches are ongoing for a 19-year old who went missing between San Rafael and San Isidro in Heredia on Tuesday, and for a 25-year-old who disappeared near EARTH University in Guácimo, Limón. Another drowning victim was recovered last week near the Pirrís Dam south of the capital, San José.

(Courtesy Costa Rican Red Cross)
Red Cross workers accompany a body retrieved at sea near Jacó on May 15, 2015. (Courtesy Costa Rican Red Cross)

You may be interested

Costa Rica adds 19 new coronavirus cases
Costa Rica
9360 views
Costa Rica
9360 views

Costa Rica adds 19 new coronavirus cases

Alejandro Zúñiga - April 4, 2020

Costa Rica has confirmed 435 total cases of the novel coronavirus, the Health Ministry announced Saturday afternoon. The figure marks…

News briefs: In-person learning, CONCACAF tournament suspended indefinitely
Costa Rica
2424 views
Costa Rica
2424 views

News briefs: In-person learning, CONCACAF tournament suspended indefinitely

AFP and The Tico Times - April 4, 2020

The coronavirus pandemic has impacted daily life in Costa Rica, which has declared a State of Emergency and enacted sweeping…

Costa Rica surpasses 400 known cases of coronavirus; 22 hospitalized, 11 recovered
Costa Rica
9205 views
Costa Rica
9205 views

Costa Rica surpasses 400 known cases of coronavirus; 22 hospitalized, 11 recovered

Alejandro Zúñiga - April 3, 2020

Costa Rica has confirmed 416 total cases of the novel coronavirus, the Health Ministry announced Friday afternoon. The figure marks…

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!