No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArgentinaArgentina to declassify Falklands War files

Argentina to declassify Falklands War files

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina – Argentine President Cristina Kirchner said Thursday she has ordered the declassification of all secret documents on the 1982 Falklands War with Britain.

Speaking on the 33rd anniversary of Argentina’s invasion of the disputed South Atlantic islands, which it calls the Malvinas, Kirchner said the defense ministry had 30 days to make all files on the conflict public.

She also used the anniversary — commemorated in Argentina as the Day of the Veterans and Fallen of the Malvinas Islands War — to criticize Britain’s recent announcement that it will beef up its defenses in the islands.

Kirchner said Argentina was determined to gain sovereignty over the islands, but through peaceful means.

“International law and dialogue, not militarization, are the path to a reunion and sovereignty,” she said at a ceremony in the city of Ushuaia, at the southern tip of South America.

“We will see the islands form part of our territory again. It’s not just wishful thinking,” she told an audience that included war veterans in dress uniform.

British Defense Secretary Michael Fallon last week announced plans to spend £180 million ($267 million) over 10 years to counter “continuous intimidation” from Argentina in the Falklands.

Kirchner’s government condemned the measure as “provocation.”

Argentina's President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, right, and Tierra del Fuego's Governor Fabiana Ríos attend a ceremony to honor soldiers who died in the South Atlantic.
AFP/Presidencia

Argentina claims it inherited the remote, wind-swept islands from Spain when it gained independence.

Britain argues it has historically ruled the islands and that the islanders should have the right to self-determination. In a 2013 referendum, 99.8 percent voted to remain a British overseas territory.

The dispute has flared again in recent years since the discovery of significant oil deposits off the islands.

The 74-day Falklands War claimed the lives of 649 Argentine soldiers, 255 British soldiers and three islanders.

The remains of 123 Argentines killed in the war have never been identified.

In 2012, Kirchner asked the International Committee of the Red Cross to mediate with the British government so DNA samples could be taken from the bodies, which are buried on the island in graves marked “Argentine soldier known only to God.”

Argentina’s secretary for the Malvinas, Daniel Filmus, said officials had finished taking DNA from the soldiers’ relatives for comparison.

“Now we just need to make progress on the humanitarian aspect,” he said.

Trending Now

What happened to Galeria Namu?

Founded in 1998, Galeria Namu had become a must-visit attraction for tourists visiting San Jose, as well as for many nationals, interested in seeing...

Brandon Nakashima Saves Three Match Points to Stun Daniil Medvedev at Cincinnati Open

Brandon Nakashima saved three consecutive match points before completing a dramatic comeback against Daniil Medvedev on Tuesday at the Cincinnati Open. The 27th-seeded American...

Costa Rica Raises Yellow Alert as Tropical Wave Arrives

If you are driving on the Caribbean side or through the Northern Zone today, check that your route is open before you leave the...

Costa Rica Dollar Exchange Rate Hits Historic Low as Central Bank Intervenes

The U.S. dollar has fallen to its lowest level in Costa Rica’s modern wholesale foreign-exchange market, increasing the squeeze on those residents who earn...

Five Costa Rican Surfers Advance at Playa Hermosa WSL Event

Five Costa Rican surfers remain in contention at the Garabito Surf City Pro after advancing to the round of 32 at the World Surf...

Nurses Strike at Hospital México After Staffing Talks Collapse

More than 180 nurses walked out at one of Costa Rica's three national referral hospitals after talks with the CCSS ended without agreement.

The Panama Canal Opened 112 Years Ago Today

Twelve years of digging, an estimated 27,500 deaths and roughly $375 million ended quietly on the morning of August 15, 1914, when a single...

More than 900 Costa Rican schools have no classes this Monday

If your child goes to school in Turrialba, Sarapiquí, Limón or Sulá, there are no classes today. Those four areas are closed in full,...

Costa Rica’s Route 32 Reopens After a Morning Landslide Shuts the Highway

Route 32 closed for about four hours Saturday morning after material fell on the San José-Limón highway. Here are the alternates and why the road can shut again.
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel