No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeEnvironmentCitizen group voices support for government moratorium on thermal conversion of solid...

Citizen group voices support for government moratorium on thermal conversion of solid waste to electricity

A new citizen group called “Hacia Basura Cero” (“Towards Zero Trash”) joined the ongoing discussion over the government’s temporary ban on the thermal processing of solid waste for energy, such as gasification and other methods, passed by decree on June 27.

The group includes environmentalists, academics, specialists in waste management and citizens from several communities who are “concerned about the recent resurgence of initiatives to incinerate trash as the only way to manage it,” the group explained in a letter delivered to the environment and health ministries.

The letter had 130 signatures of representatives from local and international conservation groups, universities, civil groups and citizens in support an Environment Ministry decree postponing approval of the implementation of solid waste thermal conversion in Costa Rica.

“Thermal degradation plants generate highly toxic substances that pose a high risk to human health and to the environment. Technology associated with energy generation from waste (except for biodigestion) is extremely expensive and is one of the least efficient ways to generate electricity. The huge capital investment required by incinerators usually is paid for by high rates for citizens, and this process also discourages recycling as well as other waste-reduction policies,” the letter stated.

The group considers it “illogical to promote a waste management model already in decline worldwide,” and they claimed that Europe hopes to eliminate gasification by the end of the decade. The number of incinerators in the U.S. has steadily declined since the 1990s, the statement added.

The Environment Ministry’s executive decree states that that ban will be in place until technical and scientific studies prove with certainty that the process does not harm human health and the environment. Advocates for solid waste thermal conversion also must prove the processes do not violate the country’s health legislation, the decree stated.

Last month, the National Association of Municipalities (ANAI) filed a complaint to an administrative court challenging MINAE’s moratorium, arguing it has “legal and constitutional flaws because it limits the freedom of trade and contradicts Law #7200, which allows the Costa Rican Electricity Institute to purchase electricity,” the association’s vice president, Gilberto Monge, said at the time.

“We have studies showing this process of electricity generation is not harmful to the environment, and we know that garbage dumps and electricity generation using fuel currently produce more pollution in comparison,” Monge said during a press conference in which lawmakers from several parties joined ANAI in asking the government to cancel the decree.

Trending Now

Costa Rica’s Route 32 Reopens After a Morning Landslide Shuts the Highway

Route 32 closed for about four hours Saturday morning after material fell on the San José-Limón highway. Here are the alternates and why the road can shut again.

More than 900 Costa Rican schools have no classes this Monday

If your child goes to school in Turrialba, Sarapiquí, Limón or Sulá, there are no classes today. Those four areas are closed in full,...

World Surf League Returns to Costa Rica at Playa Hermosa

Professional surfing returns to Costa Rica’s international stage today as the Garabito Surf City PRO 2026 gets underway at Playa Hermosa, bringing an official...

Five Costa Rican Surfers Advance at Playa Hermosa WSL Event

Five Costa Rican surfers remain in contention at the Garabito Surf City Pro after advancing to the round of 32 at the World Surf...

The Panama Canal Opened 112 Years Ago Today

Twelve years of digging, an estimated 27,500 deaths and roughly $375 million ended quietly on the morning of August 15, 1914, when a single...

Costa Rica Flooding Forces 500 Into Shelters as Pacific Side Runs Dry

Two tropical waves in three days left the Caribbean and Northern Zone saturated while the Pacific sits in its driest stretch of the year. Here is what the next four weeks look like.

Costa Rica Estate Becomes Refuge for Rare Agami Heron

Around 1,000 agami herons have made a private estate in Guatuso their home, creating an unusual concentration of one of the most elusive heron...

Costa Rica’s Corcovado Faces Ranger Shortage and Environmental Crime

Concerns are growing over Costa Rica’s ability to protect Corcovado National Park as park rangers contend with illegal gold mining, poaching, logging, illegal fishing...

Costa Rica Seals Security Contracts as “Operation Pegasus” Remark Goes Unexplained

A decree in force since August 10 seals Costa Rican security records including procurement files, as a governing-party lawmaker's unexplained "Operation Pegasus" remark sharpens the dispute.
L. Arias
L. Arias
Reporter | The Tico Times |
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel