No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsArts and CultureVenezuelan cartoonist fired after sketch slamming health care

Venezuelan cartoonist fired after sketch slamming health care

(Screengrab from El Universal)
(Screengrab from El Universal)

CARACAS – A top Venezuelan newspaper cartoonist said Wednesday he was fired over a sketch depicting Hugo Chávez’s signature melting into a flat-line electrocardiography in a jab at the decrepit national health care system.

The drawing in the paper El Universal by veteran satirist Rayma Suprani shows a normal heartbeat line in red under the word “health.”

Below it is one labeled “health in Venezuela” with the late, beloved leader Chávez’s signature quickly dying into the flat heartbeat line of a deceased person.

El Universal was traditionally anti-government, but it was sold six weeks ago and has changed its editorial tack to go easier on the administration of Chávez successor President Nicolás Maduro.

Chávez died of cancer in 2013.

Venezuela is oil-rich but its economy is a mess, with rampant inflation and unemployment and shortages of essentials, and a health care system with hospitals lacking basic supplies.

The health care woes have prompted calls for the system to be declared a national emergency.

Suprani, who has worked for the El Universal for 19 years, said he was notified of his sacking hours after the cartoon ran. The newspaper said it would issue a statement Thursday.

“To my readers and followers, I tell you that we will carry on through other, smaller avenues but with endless creativity,” Suprani said.

Even though the artist was fired, his cartoon was still viewable on the daily’s web site (www.eluniversal.com) late Wednesday.

After word spread of Suprani’s dismissal, social media lit up with expressions of support for him.

https://twitter.com/MaribelMarchan/status/512393606171471872

Weeks ago Rayma complained of censorship under the paper’s new leadership.

El Universal has been associated with the Venezuelan right for more than a century.

It was sold a month and a half ago to the Spanish company Epalisticia. Since then it has been less critical of the Maduro government.

After the sale, several columnists stopped publishing in it, and said their work was being rejected by the paper with no explanation.

Several journalists in the newsroom resigned after the change in management.

Trending Now

Costa Rica Climbs in 2026 World Press Freedom Index to Lead the Americas

Costa Rica moved up one spot to 18th place in the 2026 World Press Freedom Index released Thursday by Reporters Without Borders, reaffirming its...

El Salvador Advances Geothermal Expansion with World Bank Support

Geothermal energy supplies about 21 percent of El Salvador’s net electricity, placing the country among the world’s leaders in its use of this renewable...

Costa Rica Awaits Laura Fernández Cabinet Announcement at Teatro Melico Salazar

Political attention in Costa Rica turns today to the Teatro Popular Melico Salazar, where President-elect Laura Fernández is scheduled to present the cabinet that...

Costa Rica International Reserves Near Record $21 Billion

Costa Rica’s international reserves have climbed to one of the highest levels in our country’s history, nearing $21 billion and giving the Central Bank...

Global Leaders Arrive in Costa Rica for Presidential Transition

Costa Rica will host delegations from around the world Friday as Laura Fernández is sworn in as the country’s next president, turning the May...

Salvadoran Newspaper Says Bukele Froze Partners’ Assets After Documentary

The influential digital newspaper El Faro denounced on Thursday that the government of Nayib Bukele froze assets belonging to its partners in retaliation for...
Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel