No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsBusinessAppliance manufacturer to lay off 350 workers in Costa Rica

Appliance manufacturer to lay off 350 workers in Costa Rica

Mexican appliance manufacturer and distributor MABE will close its stove division in Costa Rica, terminating 350 jobs.

MABE’s General Manager for Central America Diego Artiñano said the company will focus its operations in the country on manufacturing refrigerators for the local market and export.

Layoff notices began arriving on Tuesday for a first group of employees whose jobs end next month.

Most of the terminated jobs are in manufacturing, but some administrative jobs also will be eliminated. The process will last through September, Artiñano said.

The company began operating in Costa Rica in 2008 after acquiring a local appliance company. Currently, the company employs 950 workers at facilities in the province of Heredia.

Artiñano said the changes would not affect the availability of products or customer support in the region.

“The decision is part of our plans to maintain our leadership in Central America. Our company is commited to secure a proper, transparent and respectful transition according to Costa Rican laws,” he added.

MABW was founded in 1946 and designs, produces, and distributes appliances to more than 70 countries. It also holds the rights to distribute products in Latin America under a variety of well-known brands such as GE.

Costa Rica’s industrial sector this year has been hit hard by layoffs. Last month, Intel and Bank of America announced 3,000 jobs would be terminated this year.

President-elect Luis Guillermo Solís on April 30 said he would travel to the U.S. to court investors, and he pledged to maintain and improve the business climate in Costa Rica.

Popular Articles

US President Invokes Wartime Law to Send Criminal Gang Members to El Salvador

El Salvador imprisoned 238 suspected members of the Tren de Aragua criminal gang and 23 members of the Mara Salvatrucha gang in a maximum-security...

Honduran Generals Re-Imprisoned Over 2009 Coup Protest Killing

Two retired Honduran generals, Venancio Cervantes, 69, and Carlos Puerto, 63, were sent back to prison on Tuesday, March 18, following a judicial ruling...

Samara Beach Unveils Retractable Walkway for Inclusive Tourism

Samara Beach launched a retractable walkway made from recycled plastic caps, a pioneering step toward inclusive tourism in Costa Rica. The project, unveiled during...
L. Arias
L. Arias
Reporter | The Tico Times |
spot_img
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Rocking Chait

Latest Articles