• Costa Rica Real Estate

Scientists from 15 countries study deep carbon sources in Costa Rica

June 25, 2014

The interior of the Earth has large unexplored sources of carbon, and a group of 35 scientists are meeting at the University of Costa Rica (UCR) Thursday to share the latest advances and research on the subject.

The experts, from 15 countries, were invited by the U.S. Deep Carbon Observatory (DCO) to attend a workshop organized by the UCR’s Central American School of Geology and the National Seismological Network (RSN).

The group will tour the Turrialba and Poás volcanoes, where they will conduct measurements of gases that will help them better understand those emissions.

“Currently the location of only 10 percent of the planet’s carbon is known, and the remaining 90 percent is in the interior of the Earth. Hence the importance of joint research,” RSN expert Carlos Ramírez Umaña said.

Some substances obtained from carbon such as methane, benzene and alcohol, are widely used in industry and in everyday activities such as vehicle fuel, cooking and for providing energy to homes.

The forum also will address issues related to underground life, volcanic emissions and even the beginning of life, “as the human being is made ​​of carbon compounds,” RSN geologist Gino González said.

The group of scientists includes geologists, biologists, chemists, physicists and engineers from India, China, France, Italy, Japan, England, Portugal, South Africa, the United States, Taiwan and Costa Rica.

You may be interested

Four people taken to hospital after Avianca flight makes rapid descent during Costa Rica-Colombia route
News
12 views
News
12 views

Four people taken to hospital after Avianca flight makes rapid descent during Costa Rica-Colombia route

Alejandro Zúñiga - January 23, 2020

Three crew members and one passenger were taken to the hospital for further testing Thursday after Avianca 693 made a…

10 years after inaugurating Route 27, popular highway needs expansion, Costa Rican gov. admits
Costa Rica
1 views
Costa Rica
1 views

10 years after inaugurating Route 27, popular highway needs expansion, Costa Rican gov. admits

The Tico Times - January 23, 2020

Ten years after Route 27 was inaugurated, the Costa Rican highway is already in need of expansion. The Costa Rican…

‘Strong discontent and energetic rejection’: Chinese Embassy responds to Pompeo’s advice to Costa Rica
China
37 views
China
37 views

‘Strong discontent and energetic rejection’: Chinese Embassy responds to Pompeo’s advice to Costa Rica

Alejandro Zúñiga - January 23, 2020

The Chinese Embassy in Costa Rica on Wednesday said Mike Pompeo had "issued erroneous remarks" when the U.S. Secretary of…

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!