No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchive2008 report warned of threat to highway

2008 report warned of threat to highway

From the print edition

Driving north out of San José on one of the country’s most important highways, the road suddenly narrows and steel trusses appear on both sides of the asphalt and down the center of the street. Two Bailey bridges were opened on General Cañas Highway on Tuesday, after a large sinkhole opened up on the route last week.

The Roadway Safety Council (CONAVI) backtracked on earlier estimates that repairing the drainage system below the General Cañas Highway (or Route 1) would take three weeks. Now transit officials can only give a rough guess that the repairs will take “months.”

The pit, now four meters deep and nine meters wide, appeared in front of the Plaza Los Arcos in Ciudad Cariari, northwest of San José, several minutes from the Juan Santamaría International Airport. The turmoil that followed caused accidents, traffic jams and missed flights. By Tuesday, traffic flow returned to normal. 

However, repairing the underlying damage will not be simple.

The Public Works and Transport Ministry (MOPT) and CONAVI could not decide how many months the repairs would take, although they assumed it would be done by the end of the year. Construction workers have begun the preliminary steps of installing a larger drainage system below the highway, MOPT said in a press release. After the work is finished, Bailey bridges will be placed on the opposite lanes of the highway so that the entire system can be remodeled and upgraded.

José Luis Salas, executive director of CONAVI, told the daily La Nación, “We could be talking about months.”

CONAVI engineer Cristian Vargas told crhoy.com, “We can’t say if it’ll take more or less than six months.”

Sinkhole Predicted

A report Wednesday in the daily La Nación showed that the damage that occurred under the highway had been predicted four years earlier. In 2008, according to La Nación, a lawyer warned the Heredia Municipal Council that the road could be washed out. The information was based on a study commissioned by a local landowner. 

The lawyer said the study warned that a tree trunk could fall into the La Guaria ravine, which flows under the highway, and block the drainage system, causing a collapse of the highway. That is exactly what happened last week.

The Heredia Municipal Council alerted CONAVI, but according to officials, they never received a response. CONAVI’s Salas responded that his department has conducted routine checkups along the highway. 

Other studies by the Costa Rican Water and Sewer Institute and the University of Costa Rica’s National Laboratory of Materials and Structural Models concluded that urban growth in Heredia and lack of care caused the collapse of the storm drains.

Through the decades, the northern province of Heredia converted its expanse of coffee plantations into residences and businesses. Rainfall in central Heredia flows out of the newly urbanized area and into the La Guaria. During heavy downpours, the ravine becomes overwhelmed by storm water, and the weak drainage system is put at risk. 

News station Telenoticias Channel 7 reported that the Bailey bridges on General Cañas cost 150 million ($300,000). The news report, citing CONAVI data, noted that Costa Rica has more than a kilometer of Bailey bridges installed in the country. Telenoticias concluded that the bridges, intended to be a temporary fix, remain in 80 different locations in the country.  

The sinkhole area will be closed 10 p.m-5 a.m. every day until repairs are completed.

Trending Now

What the Caribbean Green Alert Means for Your Weekend Plans

If you are going to the Caribbean coast or the Northern Zone over the next few days, plan for rain and give yourself more...

El Niño Deepens Costa Rica’s Divide Between Drought and Heavy Rain

Costa Rica is experiencing two sharply different rainy seasons at once, with a growing drought across the Pacific side and Central Valley while unusually...

Five Costa Rican Surfers Advance at Playa Hermosa WSL Event

Five Costa Rican surfers remain in contention at the Garabito Surf City Pro after advancing to the round of 32 at the World Surf...

Costa Rica President Sends Eight Major Proposals to Congress

President Laura Fernández has presented eight new bills that could change how Costa Rica handles pensions, loans, government contracts, internet funding and several other...

Route 32 shut again with a reopening decision due this morning

Route 32 between the Central Valley and Limón remained closed early Tuesday pending a MOPT inspection. What the detours look like and why the slopes keep failing.

Costa Rica Raises Yellow Alert as Tropical Wave Arrives

If you are driving on the Caribbean side or through the Northern Zone today, check that your route is open before you leave the...

Costa Rica Beach Overwhelmed by Trash Flowing Down Tárcoles River

A Pacific beach with the potential to attract tourists has instead become one of the clearest examples of Costa Rica’s struggle with waste, as...

The Panama Canal Opened 112 Years Ago Today

Twelve years of digging, an estimated 27,500 deaths and roughly $375 million ended quietly on the morning of August 15, 1914, when a single...

Costa Rica Under Orange Alert as Caribbean Ground Reaches Saturation

Updated Monday at 11:40 a.m. Route 32 has reopened. The Río Chirripó bridge on Route 4 is closed. The ground across the Caribbean can no...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel