No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveProbe widens in roadway scandal

Probe widens in roadway scandal

President Laura Chinchilla on Monday took further action over a highway kickback scandal along the Nicaraguan border, as agents from the Prosecutor’s Office and the Judicial Investigation Police raided government offices and homes of public employees suspected of involvement.

Agents raided the headquarters of the National Emergency Commission, in the western San José district of Pavas, the National Roadway Council (CONAVI), in eastern San José, the homes of two CONAVI supervisory engineers with last names Ramírez, in San Rafael de Heredia, Serrano, in San Francisco de Dos Ríos, and their direct boss, CONAVI Director Carlos Acosta in Esparza, Puntarenas.

The raids follow allegations of kickbacks and corruption between government employees and companies hired to build the Juan Rafael Mora Porras 1856 Highway, along the San Juan River, which forms the northern border with Nicaragua.

Investigators sequestered paper and digital files, computers and hard drives. Officials said government agencies raided so far are under suspicion of corruption involving public monies.

Trying to get ahead of criticism for what looks like a classic case of “haste makes waste,” Chinchilla announced a “change of machinery” on the project this week, and declared that the 1856 Highway project will continue, working hand-in-hand with local government agencies to maximize benefits for Costa Rica’s northern border population.

Chinchilla also suspended Acosta from his job as supervisor of $96 million in Inter-American Development Bank funded projects, including a major highway expansion in the northwestern province of Guanacaste.

The 1856 Highway is a 160-kilometer project named after three-time Tico President Juan Rafael Mora Porras, who helped put an end to William Walker’s 1856 imperial aspirations in Costa Rica. The highway will stretch from Isla Calero on the Caribbean coast to the border town of Los Chiles.

Costa Rica and Nicaragua recently have been bickering over the northeastern corner of the country since October 2010, when Costa Rica complained about Nicaragua’s dredging of the river. That spat escalated into a prolonged campaign of bitterness between the countries, culminating in the occupation of Isla Calero by Nicaraguan troops in January 2011, which Costa Rica characterized as an “armed invasion”.

Chinchilla has maintained the route is necessary to bring government services to the region despite protestations from environmentalists on both sides of the river. The president said the road would benefit some 2,500 families in the region (TT, Dec. 14, 2011). She also declared the project a national emergency to end Costa Rica’s dependence on the San Juan River for transportation.

Ironically, the 19th century defeat of Walker required close cooperation between the two countries, with the decisive battle fought at Rivas in Nicaragua.

More than 150 years later, the use of emergency powers helped expedite the highway project in an isolated area with little electric power. The Costa Rican government appropriated ₡20 billion ($40 million) in funds from the National Emergency Commission, which signed contracts with the Transport Ministry’s road-building arm, CONAVI.

CONAVI routinely sub-contracts public works with private construction companies. But Costa Rica’s public tendering processes are often bogged down by bureaucracy, and public works projects can take years, if not decades, to be assigned to builders and completed. Chinchilla cut through the red tape by declaring the 1856 Highway a national emergency, a measure that was published in the official government newspaper La Gaceta on March 7.

CONAVI awarded the sub-contracts to private construction companies in record time. Construction began in mid- 2011, and has continued despite ecologically pitched appeals by Nicaragua to the Central American Court, which Costa Rica does not recognize. In February, The Tico Times editorialized against the lack of any environmental impact study before work was begun.

In early May, the daily La Nación reported that one of the supervising CONAVI engineers on the 1856 Highway project, identified only by his last name, Ramírez, recently purchased a $50,000 car and a $342,000 home and moved out of a more modest house he had lived in up to that time, which he simply abandoned.

The last name of a second engineer suspected of receiving kickbacks, Serrano, also surfaced. Chinchilla, outraged by what looked like conclusive evidence of corruption in the highway project, demanded the resignation of Transport Minister Francisco Jiménez on May 4.

Trending Now

Possible Archaeological Find in Costa Rica Delays Water Project

A long-awaited project to bring piped drinking water to Isla Caballo has hit another delay after crews uncovered ceramic pieces, shells and fossil material...

Costa Rica Moves Immigration Applications Online for Some Foreign Executives

Costa Rica has moved several immigration procedures for foreign executives and their families online, allowing eligible applicants to complete and track the process through...

World Surf League Returns to Costa Rica at Playa Hermosa

Professional surfing returns to Costa Rica’s international stage today as the Garabito Surf City PRO 2026 gets underway at Playa Hermosa, bringing an official...

Colombian Camila Osorio Leads Latin American Women at Cincinnati Open

Camila Osorio will carry the strongest Latin American hopes in the women’s main draw when the Cincinnati Open begins this week in Mason, Ohio....

Costa Rica Free-Zone Growth Slows to Weakest Pace Since 2020

Growth in Costa Rica’s free-zone economy slowed sharply in June, falling to its weakest pace since 2020 and extending a year-long deceleration in one...

The Unexpected Reason Some Travelers May Prefer Costa Rica

My friend Tomas has worked most of his life in one kind of tourism or another. He’s 100 percent Tico but spent many years...

American Detained in Costa Rica Over $3.6 Million Investment Fraud Case

OIJ Interpol agents detained a 46-year-old American in Pavas, San José, on an FBI warrant. A US civil case traces nearly $2.8 million to Costa Rican banks.

Five Costa Rican Surfers Advance at Playa Hermosa WSL Event

Five Costa Rican surfers remain in contention at the Garabito Surf City Pro after advancing to the round of 32 at the World Surf...

Latin American Qualifiers Face Double-Duty Day at Cincinnati Open

Latin America’s Cincinnati Open contingent faces a high-pressure Wednesday after severe weather disrupted the opening day of qualifying, leaving several players from the region...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel