No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsCrimeMexico journalist who revealed first lady's mansion fired

Mexico journalist who revealed first lady’s mansion fired

MEXICO CITY, Mexico — An influential Mexican broadcast journalist whose report about the first lady’s mansion caused a scandal was sacked Sunday, sparking anger among supporters who called her firing an affront to freedom of speech.

Carmen Aristegui had been publicly feuding with her employer, MVS Radio, in recent days after two of her investigative reporters were fired by the company.

She complained about the dismissals on the air Friday, demanding that her colleagues be reinstated and lamenting about an “authoritarian wind” in the country.

MVS said the two journalists had been fired for using the company’s name without permission in their participation in MexicoLeaks, a website created by civic groups and other media outlets to receive leaked documents showing acts of corruption.

MVS said Sunday that it parted ways with Aristegui because she had conditioned her staying with the broadcaster on the company reinstating the two reporters.

In a statement, MVS said it could not allow one of its collaborators to “impose conditions and ultimatums on the administration.”

Aristegui’s investigative team revealed last year that President Enrique Peña Nieto’s wife, former soap opera star Angelica Rivera, had bought a Mexico City mansion from a government contractor.

The story sparked allegations of conflict of interest, which the president denied, adding more headaches to Peña Nieto as he faced protests over the presumed massacre of 43 missing college students.

On Friday, Aristegui said her two fired colleagues had been investigation a house Finance Minister Luis Videgaray bought from a government contractor as well as the alleged summary execution of gang suspects by soldiers.

Peña Nieto’s spokesman could not be reached for comment about Aristegui’s sacking.

Fans angry

Her supporters swiftly voiced their discontent on social media, with the hashtag #InDefenseOfAristegui2 (#EndefensadeAristegui2) becoming the top trending topic on Twitter in Mexico.

“Carmen Aristegui is an essential voice in our public life. Her departure from MVS seriously damages freedom of speech in Mexico,” leading historian Enrique Krauze wrote on Twitter.

Renowned political scientist Denise Dresser immediately announced she would no longer appear on MVS while actor Diego Luna lamented Aristegui’s firing.

“What sadness that from tomorrow @AristeguiOline will not have a space in this country that demands plurality and voices that challenge us,” Luna tweeted.

Leftist Senator Alejandro Encinas called it a “hard blow for the kind of journalist our country needs.”

A movement emerged urging people to unfollow MVS news’s Twitter account.

The radio station’s website was briefly hacked on Saturday, with a message apologizing for the firing of Aristegui’s two journalists.

Aristegui, who also works for CNN’s Spanish-language channel, was already fired once before by MVS during her six-year stint at the radio station.

In 2011, she was let go after demanding a government reaction after a lawmaker accused then president Felipe Calderón, without proof, of having a drinking problem.

MVS said she had been fired for violating ethics, but she claimed that her sacking stemmed from pressure from the presidency.

This time around, MVS said it “fully exercises freedom of expression” and would continue to provide critical coverage, but that it could not tolerate “individualistic attitudes” from employees.

Trending Now

Possible Archaeological Find in Costa Rica Delays Water Project

A long-awaited project to bring piped drinking water to Isla Caballo has hit another delay after crews uncovered ceramic pieces, shells and fossil material...

U.S. and Costa Rica Discuss Deeper Security Cooperation

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio spoke with Costa Rican President Laura Fernández today as the two countries look to deepen security cooperation amid...

Costa Rica Under Orange Alert as Caribbean Ground Reaches Saturation

Updated Monday at 11:40 a.m. Route 32 has reopened. The Río Chirripó bridge on Route 4 is closed. The ground across the Caribbean can no...

Costa Rica flood emergency keeps 473 schools closed and 1,300 people in shelters

The rain has eased but saturated ground keeps the risk high across the Caribbean and Northern Zone. Here is what is closed, what is reachable and what to check before you drive.

Costa Rica Highway Project Faces Questions Over Removal of Wildlife Routes

An internal audit at Costa Rica’s National Roadway Council (Conavi) has warned that construction work on the Barranca-Limonal highway disrupted natural overhead routes used...

Family Demands Answers on Missing Political Prisoners in Nicaragua

Relatives of a retired military officer and his wife, who were detained a year ago in Nicaragua, demanded Saturday that the government of Daniel...

Williams Sisters Lose Cincinnati Open Doubles Thriller

Serena and Venus Williams came within two points of completing a dramatic comeback Monday night, but their long-awaited doubles reunion ended with a 2-6,...

Costa Rica Raises Yellow Alert as Tropical Wave Arrives

If you are driving on the Caribbean side or through the Northern Zone today, check that your route is open before you leave the...

General Cañas Highway Lane Closures Begin Monday in Costa Rica

Drivers using the General Cañas Highway between Alajuela and San José should prepare for additional congestion beginning Monday as crews carry out eight days...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel