In August and for the past several months, circulation on the weekends has been restricted based on the last digit of a vehicle’s license plate. That measure — meant to reduce mobility and traffic accidents in context of the Covid-19 pandemic — will be lifted starting Saturday, September 4.
The nighttime restrictions (10 p.m. to 5 a.m.) and weekday restrictions will remain unchanged.
These will be Costa Rica’s vehicular restrictions in September:
- Monday: Vehicles with plates ending in 1 and 2 cannot circulate.
- Tuesday: Vehicles with plates ending in 3 and 4 cannot circulate.
- Wednesday: Vehicles with plates ending in 5 and 6 cannot circulate.
- Thursday: Vehicles with plates ending in 7 and 8 cannot circulate.
- Friday: Vehicles with plates ending in 9 and 0 cannot circulate.
- Saturday and Sunday: All vehicles can circulate (5 a.m. to 10 p.m.)
The typical list of exceptions — which includes rental vehicles, people driving to/from a hotel reservation, people driving to/from the airport and people driving to/from work or school — will continue to apply. The official list of exceptions can be found here.