No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeNewsCosta RicaAdulterated alcohol in Costa Rica: What you need to know today

Adulterated alcohol in Costa Rica: What you need to know today

As another week ends, we’re recapping the latest in the public-health alert and response to methanol-tainted alcohol that is suspected to have killed at least 20 people in Costa Rica.

The basics: Costa Rica’s Health Ministry issued a sanitary alert on July 10 warning that liquor served under several brands may have been tainted with methanol, which can be deadly if ingested in significant quantities.

What is being done?: The Health Ministry has taken the following liquor brands off the shelves in Costa Rica: Guaro Gran Apache; Aguardiente Estrella Roja; Guaro Montano; Aguardiente Barón Rojo; Aguardiente Timbuka; Aguardiente Sachetto; and Aguardiente Molotov. Do not drink alcohol sold under those brands, and report to the Health Ministry (denuncias.drpis@misalud.go.cr) if you see them being sold anywhere in Costa Rica before the sanitary alert is lifted.

Who is impacted by this?: Everyone in Costa Rica should avoid the affected brands. The U.S. Embassy issued a statement saying it is monitoring the situation and remains in contact with Costa Rican authorities. However, the U.S. Embassy said Tuesday it is “not aware of any U.S. citizen illness or death due to consuming adulterated alcohol in Costa Rica.”

The Health Ministry said methanol poisoning has primarily affected “people with chronic alcohol problems.”

Cartago is the province with the most deaths (5), followed by San José and Limón (four each).

What’s new this week?: On Monday, the Health Ministry updated to 20 the number of people they suspect to have died of methanol poisoning.

Two days later, on Wednesday, officials raided the distributors Pinares de Heredia, located in San Isidro de Coronado. There they seized wines and liquors that were “unregistered or had expired registrations,” according to the Health Ministry. Samples were sent for analysis, and nationwide operations similar to Wednesday’s search will continue.

As of Wednesday, any establishment found to be selling the aforementioned brands will have its liquor license suspended. In addition, any business that refuses inspections will have its liquor license suspended.

At least 38,000 bottles of liquor have been confiscated so far, the Health Ministry says.

Trending Now

Corcovado National Park Placed on Red Alert Over Sewage and Crumbling Infrastructure

A coalition of Costa Rican environmental organizations has placed Corcovado National Park under what it calls a red alert, warning that sewage discharges, decaying...

Costa Rican Surfers Chase a Home Title as WSL Finals Day Runs at Playa Hermosa

The quarterfinals, semifinals and final of the Garabito Surf City Pro all run Sunday at Playa Hermosa, with Leilani McGonagle carrying the strongest Costa Rican result into the closing rounds.

Nicaragua Bishop Abelardo Mata Says He Is Well After Detention

Catholic Bishop Abelardo Mata, a critic of Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega, said he is in good condition in an interview broadcast Wednesday by the...

Former Costa Rica Health Minister’s Trial Delayed After Lawyer Leaves Case

The trial of former Health Minister Joselyn Chacón has been postponed until October after a court ruled that her attorney had abandoned the defense...

Costa Rica Raises Yellow Alert as Tropical Wave Arrives

If you are driving on the Caribbean side or through the Northern Zone today, check that your route is open before you leave the...

Missing Hiker Found Alive After Four Days in Costa Rica’s Chirripó National Park

A 58-year-old Costa Rican hiker who had been missing for four days inside Chirripó National Park was found alive this morning, ending an extensive...

Costa Rica Under Orange Alert as Caribbean Ground Reaches Saturation

Updated Monday at 11:40 a.m. Route 32 has reopened. The Río Chirripó bridge on Route 4 is closed. The ground across the Caribbean can no...

More than 900 Costa Rican schools have no classes this Monday

If your child goes to school in Turrialba, Sarapiquí, Limón or Sulá, there are no classes today. Those four areas are closed in full,...

Paulo Wanchope expected back at Herediano for a third spell in charge

The former Manchester City and West Ham striker is reported to be closing an agreement to take over at Herediano, a job he has held twice before. The club has not announced it.
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel