No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeCrimeCorruptionHonduras foreign minister resigns over police murder scandal

Honduras foreign minister resigns over police murder scandal

 TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras — Honduran Foreign Minister Arturo Corrales resigned on Friday after being mired in a scandal in which a cabal of corrupt top police officers reportedly ordered hits on anti-crime officials.

The office of President Juan Orlando Hernández said the head of state “has today (Friday) accepted the resignation of the secretary for foreign affairs and international cooperation, Arturo Corrales.”

Corrales was Orlando’s security minister during an alleged cover-up of the police involvement, which came to light through recent reporting by the Honduran newspaper El Heraldo.

The daily cited a security ministry document revealing that senior police officers ordered the assassination of Honduras’ top anti-drug official, Arístides González, in December 2009.

It also said the group of police ordered hits on a state prosecutor, Orlando Chávez, in April 2013, and on a former security ministry consultant, Alfredo Landaverde, in December 2014.

The hierarchy of the security ministry in place between 2009 and 2014 covered up the information, the newspaper said.

Corrales was security minister for one year, from January 2014 until January 2015, when he was made foreign minister.

Honduras’ public ministry, which handles state prosecutions, opened an investigation last week after a raid on the police headquarters turned up evidence regarding González’s murder.

The president has asked Congress to approve an emergency decree aimed at accelerating a clean-up of the 12,000-strong police force that has been dragging on for four years now.

That process started in early 2011 when it was discovered that it was riddled with officers working for narcotics cartels, hitmen and other criminals.

Authorities believe more than one in 10 of the officers is dirty and must be booted from the police force.

Trending Now

Trump Says He Would Not Pay $1,000 for U.S. World Cup Opener

President Donald Trump said in an interview published Thursday that he would not pay the $1,000-plus ticket price for the United States' first World...

What Is the Scope of the Mega-Trial Against MS-13 Leaders in El Salvador?

Shackled hand and foot, visibly aged, the MS-13 leaders on trial in El Salvador are now only a shadow of the violent gang members...

Costa Rica Weather Forecast Calls for Heavier Afternoon Storms This Week

Costa Rica will see warm mornings and stormy afternoons this week as Caribbean moisture moves across our country and helps fuel early rainy-season weather...

Costa Rica Court Orders Urgent Action to Protect Tempisque River

Costa Rica’s Constitutional Court has ordered several state agencies and local governments to act together to address the degradation of the Tempisque River, after...

Marriott to Open World’s First All-Inclusive JW Marriott in Costa Rica

Marriott International will open the JW Marriott Costa Elena Resort & Spa, All-Inclusive, in Costa Rica on September 10, marking the JW Marriott brand’s...

Porter Airlines to Start Direct Toronto–San José Flights in December

Canadian carrier Porter Airlines will begin direct seasonal service between Toronto Pearson International Airport and Juan Santamaría International Airport on December 2, 2026, opening...
Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel