• Costa Rica Coffee Guide
  • Tico Travel Surfing
  • Squaremouth travel insurance button 468x106
  • Costa Rica Real Estate

Keylor Navas allows four goals as Barcelona crushes Real Madrid

November 24, 2015

The historic, record-setting season for Keylor Navas took a brutal tailspin on Saturday in Navas’ first ever appearance in a Clásico, as Barcelona dominated rival Real Madrid 4-0 at Santiago Bernabéu Stadium.

Navas’ four goals allowed in the match were one more than he had allowed all season (13 games) and are the first goals he has given up at home. Coming into the match, Navas led La Liga in save percentage and big chance prevention.

Real Madrid’s defense, which had been more lucky than good, had conceded the fewest goals in La Liga coming into the contest against league-leader Barcelona. But even with Lionel Messi on the bench for most of the match, Barça’s stars like Neymar and Luis Suárez feasted on a lackadaisical defense that needs major retooling.

Madrid constantly put itself out of position and looked completely outmatched in the midfield, where it couldn’t hold possession against a suffocating Barcelona attack.

Navas did make one excellent save, as has become customary for the 28-year-old Costa Rican keeper: he jumped up to deny a Neymar free kick in the 51st minute.

Despite the effort, Barcelona had little trouble in coming back with a third goal when Neymar left the ball for Andrés Iniesta of a great heel pass that continued Real Madrid’s bleeding. To make things even worse, Suárez came back with a second goal when he lofted the ball over Navas to make it 4-0 Barcelona and put an exclamation point on the drubbing.

Any time Madrid tried to counter, it was stuffed by Barcelona and keeper Claudio Bravo, who denied superstar forward Cristiano Ronaldo on a breakaway where the Portuguese striker was left all alone.

Madrid, which now suffers its second straight loss and its first loss with Navas in net, takes the field again on Wednesday against Ukraine’s Shakhtar Donetsk in Champion’s League play.

You may be interested

Costa Rica extends coronavirus travel restrictions through April 30
Costa Rica
10806 views
Costa Rica
10806 views

Costa Rica extends coronavirus travel restrictions through April 30

Alejandro Zúñiga - April 6, 2020

Costa Rica has extended its entry restrictions in response to the coronavirus pandemic until April 30. Through at least the…

Costa Rica ‘has not had an intense increase in cases,’ Health Ministry says
Costa Rica
9941 views
Costa Rica
9941 views

Costa Rica ‘has not had an intense increase in cases,’ Health Ministry says

Alejandro Zúñiga - April 6, 2020

Costa Rica has confirmed 467 total cases of the novel coronavirus, the Health Ministry announced Monday afternoon. The figure marks…

Costa Rica studies international response to Nicaraguan coronavirus inaction
Central America
168 views
Central America
168 views

Costa Rica studies international response to Nicaraguan coronavirus inaction

AFP and The Tico Times - April 6, 2020

Costa Rica is studying international actions to monitor Nicaragua's response to the novel coronavirus, as the government has not ordered…

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!