Platini deal was ‘gentleman’s agreement’ – FIFA’s Blatter
“It was a contract I had with Platini, a gentleman’s agreement,” the 79-year-old said in an interview with Swiss media RROTV.
“It was implemented. I can’t give any more details, the issue is being discussed in two investigations.”
Asked directly if the contract had been made within the rules, Blatter added: “Yes, certainly, it was within the rules.”
Blatter and Platini, 60, have both been suspended for 90 days by FIFA’s ethics committee as Swiss authorities conduct a criminal investigation into corruption allegations at the scandal-tainted world football governing body.
Blatter defiantly backed his right to discuss the ongoing controversy and investigation.
“I don’t have the right to go to a football stadium, but I do have the right to talk to whoever I want,” he added.
“I am not sidelined, I am only suspended.”
Blatter, who has been in charge of FIFA since 1998, still intends to be present when the FIFA congress meets on February 26 to elect a new president.
“My goal is to preside over the congress, that is my objective. I don’t believe it will be postponed.”
Blatter also blasted the international media for “pre-judging” him, saying his suspension had been a “shock.”
He added he was baffled by the decision to bar him from his office.
“I have not stolen, I haven’t killed, I haven’t favored anybody!”
The suspension, he said, had given him “time to think” and that he was “doing fine, even if it is a difficult period.”
You may be interested
Chile rejects Escazú Agreement, environmental pact supported by Costa RicaAFP and The Tico Times - September 23, 2020
Chile on Tuesday confirmed its decision not to sign the Escazú Agreement, which guarantees the protection of environmental rights in…
At UN, Costa Rica defends international fund to alleviate economic blow of pandemicAFP - September 23, 2020
The president of Costa Rica, Carlos Alvarado, defended Tuesday before the UN the creation of a fund financed by industrialized…
Travel uncertainty cancels Costa Rica’s upcoming soccer friendly against MexicoAlejandro Zúñiga - September 22, 2020
The Costa Rican Football Federation (Fedefutbol) on Tuesday announced the cancellation of the men's national team's planned friendly match against…