Costa Rican motorists soon won’t have to wait for police to clear minor car accidents
It’s a common sight on Costa Rican roads: traffic snarled for blocks as two cars sit obstructing traffic, waiting for a traffic cop to appear and give the OK to move the vehicles.
But soon drivers will no longer have to wait for authorities after minor accidents.
President Luis Guillermo Solís and Public Works and Transport Minster Carlos Segnini signed a decree earlier this week that will allow motorists who get into minor accidents to move their vehicles out of traffic before they exchange insurance information.
The decree — which takes effect 120 days after its publication in the government newspaper, La Gaceta — applies to accidents involving damage to vehicles only, and in cases where both drivers can come to an agreement.
Casa Presidencial said the change would free up traffic police to address other issues and clear the country’s congested roadways from unnecessary traffic jams.
Both parties would need to fill out a minor accident declaration provided by their insurer, along with photographs, video or other evidence to accompany the claim.
If the drivers cannot come to an agreement, they would contact traffic police and sit blocking traffic — as usual.
You may be interested
Amazon adding 2,000 new jobs in Costa RicaAlejandro Zúñiga - June 26, 2019
Amazon executives announced Wednesday the creation of 2,000 new jobs in its Costa Rica offices. The Seattle, Washington-based company said…
American Airlines launching direct flights from New York to Costa RicaAlejandro Zúñiga - June 26, 2019
Big Apple, meet Pura Vida. Beginning in November, American Airlines will launch new direct routes between New York's John F.…
Earthquake in Costa Rica was ‘un despiche total,’ Tico saysAlejandro Zúñiga - June 26, 2019
Leave it to Costa Ricans to turn an unnerving nighttime earthquake into immediate fodder for a nationwide joke. After a…