No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsBusinessSan José vehicle restriction to be suspended during mid-year school vacations

San José vehicle restriction to be suspended during mid-year school vacations

The restriction that prohibits vehicles from entering downtown San José on certain days will be temporarily suspended starting Monday, as Costa Rican students begin their mid-year school vacations.

Traffic Police Director Mario Calderón said the suspension will apply from July 6 to 17, as traffic in Costa Rica’s capital decreases significantly during the vacation period.

The measure will also allow for Traffic Police officers who regularly monitor the capital roads to be assigned to highways that lead to popular tourist destinations outside the Central Valley.

For the duration of the two-week vacation period, Traffic Police will maintain 15 roadway checkpoints throughout the country and will designate a total of 744 officers, 152 police cars and 217 motorcycles for surveillance efforts. They will also assign 57 tow trucks to remove confiscated and broken-down cars from the roads.

Officers during last year’s vacations issued a total of 6,535 traffic fines, most of them to drivers caught speeding, driving under the influence, using a phone while driving or not wearing a seat belt.  A total of 435 motorists were caught driving without a permit and 82 were charged with driving under the influence, according to Traffic Police records.

Last year 14 people died in road accidents during the two-week holiday period. “Five of them were motorcyclists, four were passengers in a car, three were pedestrians, one was a driver and another was a cyclist,” Calderón explained.

Police surveillance operations

Starting Saturday, the Public Security Ministry will also set up checkpoints along many national roads. National Police officers will conduct inspections on buses and provide safety information to tourists in the most visited locations of the coastal provinces of Guanacaste, Limón and Puntarenas.

National Police, Tourist Police, and Air Surveillance Service officers will all contribute to the surveillance operations.

Tourist Police Director Luis Chavarría recommends that vacationers exercise extreme caution, remain vigilant of their belongings and specifically avoid leaving valuables or cash inside their vehicles.

“Theft is the most common crime against tourists in this period and it mostly occurs because they leave valuable items in plain view, usually inside their cars,” Chavarría said.

He also recommends keeping a close watch on children and seeking information about ocean currents when visiting the beach.

Trending Now

Why Spending US Dollars in Costa Rica Can Be Surprisingly Difficult

When money is the subject, I am as old school as anybody. Cash is king in my world. The thrill, the feel of a...

Costa Rica Named Among Top Destinations for Solo Travelers

Costa Rica has been included among 25 of the world’s best destinations for people traveling alone in a 2026 selection by Travel + Leisure,...

Novak Djokovic Reveals Health Issue After Cincinnati Open Loss

Novak Djokovic’s return to competition lasted just one match Saturday as the 24-time Grand Slam champion struggled physically in the Cincinnati heat before suffering...

Missing Hiker Found Alive After Four Days in Costa Rica’s Chirripó National Park

A 58-year-old Costa Rican hiker who had been missing for four days inside Chirripó National Park was found alive this morning, ending an extensive...

Costa Rica Beach Overwhelmed by Trash Flowing Down Tárcoles River

A Pacific beach with the potential to attract tourists has instead become one of the clearest examples of Costa Rica’s struggle with waste, as...

Costa Rica Heavy Rains Cause Flooding and Travel Disruptions

Heavy rains from Tropical Wave No. 32 left flooding, overflowing rivers, landslides and road problems across several parts of Costa Rica, while forecasters warned...

Costa Rica Wildlife Study Records 79 Species at Reserva Conchal

A year-long wildlife study at Reserva Conchal in Guanacaste documented 79 species of mammals, birds and reptiles, nearly double the 40 recorded during the...

Costa Rica Under Orange Alert as Caribbean Ground Reaches Saturation

Updated Monday at 11:40 a.m. Route 32 has reopened. The Río Chirripó bridge on Route 4 is closed. The ground across the Caribbean can no...

Fernández Tours Flooded Limón as Pressure Builds for an Emergency Declaration

Fernández toured flooded Limón on Monday as a legislator pressed for a formal emergency declaration for the Caribbean.
L. Arias
L. Arias
Reporter | The Tico Times |
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel