Costa Rican Sloth Sanctuary featured on new Animal Planet series
Sloths have certainly been getting their share of attention in pop culture lately. From Kristen Bell’s complete sloth meltdown to the now popular sloth astronaut meme, the odd and adorable creatures have never been more hip, so it comes as no surprise that Costa Rica’s Sloth Sanctuary has made the Silver Screen with Animal Planet’s new television series “Meet the Sloths.”
Over the course of eight episodes, the self-proclaimed sloth soap opera will dramatize the lives of the sanctuary’s 150-some inhabitants, much like the network’s previous success, “Meerkat Manor.”
The show’s first episode premiered Nov. 9 with episodes airing Saturdays at 8 p.m. EST.
Here is a look into The Tico Times’ visit to The Sloth Sanctuary last year:
1. Sloths at The Sloth Sanctuary are all given teddy bears. Sometimes, they wrap their legs around them while they sleep.
2. Sloths like cuddling with people too. Buttercup, the star of “Meet the Sloths,” has lived with Judy Avey-Arroyo, the owner of The Sloth Sanctuary, for 21 years.
3. Laying upside down is a favorite pastime for the sloths at The Sloth Sanctuary
4. So is relaxing in a barrel with a bunch of towels and a teddy bear
5. But at the end of the day most of the sloths just like to pass out on the floor
You may be interested
Costa Rica coronavirus updates for July 12, 2020Alejandro Zúñiga - July 12, 2020
Costa Rica confirmed 365 new cases of the coronavirus over the past day, totaling 7,596 cumulative known cases, the Health…
Slothy Sunday: Osa, a true ‘Oso Perezoso’Denise Gillen - July 12, 2020
Looks can be deceiving, as those of us who work with sloths can tell you. This is especially true with…
Hotel reservation won’t work as exception to driving restrictions this week [Updated]Alejandro Zúñiga - July 11, 2020
Update: After the Saturday afternoon press conference, the Costa Rican government has apparently changed its mind on this subject. According to…