Costa Rican Sloth Sanctuary featured on new Animal Planet series
Sloths have certainly been getting their share of attention in pop culture lately. From Kristen Bell’s complete sloth meltdown to the now popular sloth astronaut meme, the odd and adorable creatures have never been more hip, so it comes as no surprise that Costa Rica’s Sloth Sanctuary has made the Silver Screen with Animal Planet’s new television series “Meet the Sloths.”
Over the course of eight episodes, the self-proclaimed sloth soap opera will dramatize the lives of the sanctuary’s 150-some inhabitants, much like the network’s previous success, “Meerkat Manor.”
The show’s first episode premiered Nov. 9 with episodes airing Saturdays at 8 p.m. EST.
Here is a look into The Tico Times’ visit to The Sloth Sanctuary last year:
1. Sloths at The Sloth Sanctuary are all given teddy bears. Sometimes, they wrap their legs around them while they sleep.
2. Sloths like cuddling with people too. Buttercup, the star of “Meet the Sloths,” has lived with Judy Avey-Arroyo, the owner of The Sloth Sanctuary, for 21 years.
3. Laying upside down is a favorite pastime for the sloths at The Sloth Sanctuary
4. So is relaxing in a barrel with a bunch of towels and a teddy bear
5. But at the end of the day most of the sloths just like to pass out on the floor
You may be interested
In Davos, tourism industry promises less plastic and more sustainabilityPol Costa / AFP and The Tico Times - January 24, 2020
Faced with the tons of disposable plastic used by hotels every year, the CO2 emitted by airplanes or the overcrowding…
Meet Costa Rica’s newest NASA figure: Luis Diego Fonseca FloresBruce Callow - January 24, 2020
Costa Rica may be small, but its people are achieving great things. In this story, contributor Bruce Callow shares an…