Costa Rican Sloth Sanctuary featured on new Animal Planet series
Sloths have certainly been getting their share of attention in pop culture lately. From Kristen Bell’s complete sloth meltdown to the now popular sloth astronaut meme, the odd and adorable creatures have never been more hip, so it comes as no surprise that Costa Rica’s Sloth Sanctuary has made the Silver Screen with Animal Planet’s new television series “Meet the Sloths.”
Over the course of eight episodes, the self-proclaimed sloth soap opera will dramatize the lives of the sanctuary’s 150-some inhabitants, much like the network’s previous success, “Meerkat Manor.”
The show’s first episode premiered Nov. 9 with episodes airing Saturdays at 8 p.m. EST.
Here is a look into The Tico Times’ visit to The Sloth Sanctuary last year:
1. Sloths at The Sloth Sanctuary are all given teddy bears. Sometimes, they wrap their legs around them while they sleep.
2. Sloths like cuddling with people too. Buttercup, the star of “Meet the Sloths,” has lived with Judy Avey-Arroyo, the owner of The Sloth Sanctuary, for 21 years.
3. Laying upside down is a favorite pastime for the sloths at The Sloth Sanctuary
4. So is relaxing in a barrel with a bunch of towels and a teddy bear
5. But at the end of the day most of the sloths just like to pass out on the floor
You may be interested
Despite reports, Costa Rica continues to not be an islandAlejandro Zúñiga - July 23, 2019
Despite recent reports to the contrary, The Tico Times has confirmed that Costa Rica is not an island. This news…
Costa Rican dog attends trial as a victim of animal abuseAFP and The Tico Times - July 23, 2019
Champion, a two-year-old dog, became on Monday the first animal in Latin America to attend the trial of his former…
Flamingo Fishing Rodeo set to begin in one of sportfishing’s best destinationsThe Tico Times - July 23, 2019
Flamingo, Guanacaste, is one of sportfishing’s legendary destinations, an idyllic laid-back beach community located on Costa Rica's northern Pacific coast.…