No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveCosta Rican police and U.S. DEA shut down gunrunning operation with links...

Costa Rican police and U.S. DEA shut down gunrunning operation with links to Colombia’s FARC

Costa Rica’s Judicial Investigation Police (OIJ) smashed an international gun and drug running operation supposedly linked to the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) in the San José neighborhood of Barrio Escalante – just a few kilometers from The Tico Times office – on Thursday night, according to OIJ Director Francisco Segura. 

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration alerted authorities two months ago that criminals had been ferrying heavy arms through Costa Rica, including AR-15 rifles. An OIJ agent successfully infiltrated the criminal organization, leading to the arrests.

Authorities confiscated 27 rifles, seven pistols, one revolver and a silencer. OIJ agents also seized 492 kilograms of cocaine during one of the raids that took place in capital neighborhood of Sabana Sur, Curridabat, and Barrio Escalante Thursday evening.

Five Colombians and a Nicaraguan, who have been in Costa Rica legally for between eight months and four years, were arrested. 

Segura said an alleged connection existed with the FARC, an armed leftist guerrilla organization in Colombia that has alleged ties with drug trafficking, but would not elaborate. The U.S. government considers FARC a terrorist organization. 

The guns originated in Germany and arrived in Costa Rica, where the suspects filed off the weapons’ serial numbers and possibly made other modifications, including alternations to make them automatic weapons, before sending them on to Mexico, according to Segura. 

The Chiribogo gun store in Barrio Escalante, where the gunrunners operated, had legal permission to sell weapons.

“Let’s not kid ourselves, these weapons are here for illicit reasons,” Segura told reporters during a press conference on Friday.

Acting Costa Rican Attorney General Carlos María Jiménez said the suspects could face up to 20 years in prison if charged and found guilty.

Segura added that the DEA did not have a police presence in the raids and only participated in intelligence-sharing.

OIJ said the investigation is ongoing. 

Correction Nov. 1, 2:22 p.m.: This report originally misspelled the name of the gun store as “Chiripago.”

Trending Now

Costa Rica Declares a National Emergency in Nine Flood Hit Areas

Costa Rica has declared an emergency in nine areas after days of heavy rain caused flooding, damaged roads and left more than 700 people in shelters

Costa Rica Court Questions Tourism Projects on Public Forest Land

Costa Rica’s Constitutional Chamber will examine whether some tourism projects allowed on state-owned forest land should continue to be classified as low-impact activities. The...

Ring of Fire Earthquakes Put Costa Rica’s Seismic Risk in Focus

A series of powerful earthquakes around the Pacific Ring of Fire has renewed attention on Costa Rica’s seismic risk and the tectonic forces constantly moving beneath.

Argentina’s Thiago Tirante Turns Cincinnati Run Into Career Breakthrough

Argentina’s Thiago Tirante produced the best Masters 1000 run of his career in Cincinnati, highlighted by a three-set upset of Novak Djokovic.

Family Demands Answers on Missing Political Prisoners in Nicaragua

Relatives of a retired military officer and his wife, who were detained a year ago in Nicaragua, demanded Saturday that the government of Daniel...

Costa Rica Court Targets Illegal Land Use at Playa Dominical

Costa Rica’s Constitutional Court has ordered the Municipality of Osa to do more to remove unapproved businesses and makeshift structures from public beachfront land...

Brandon Nakashima Saves Three Match Points to Stun Daniil Medvedev at Cincinnati Open

Brandon Nakashima saved three consecutive match points before completing a dramatic comeback against Daniil Medvedev on Tuesday at the Cincinnati Open. The 27th-seeded American...

Costa Rica Audit Finds 157 Unfinished Works and Safety Risks on Route 32

A new technical audit of the Route 32 expansion has identified 157 unfinished works, unstable slopes and road-safety problems along the highway connecting central...

Fernández Tours Flooded Limón as Pressure Builds for an Emergency Declaration

Fernández toured flooded Limón on Monday as a legislator pressed for a formal emergency declaration for the Caribbean.
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel